MAGCON - what is this fad and should I just do with it

(19 Posts)
mammamic Tue 12-Apr-16 19:57:12

Our very soon to be 12 yr old is a regular on Instagram. She and her friends mostly use it for private chats and fan pages, which is where the MAGCON thing comes from. Basically a 'Meet And Greet (MAG) Convention where you pay £100 to go to the O2 and have your picture with these losersboys (men, some of them!). Our daughter really wants a ticket for her birthday - any one know about this and what it entails?

mammamic Tue 12-Apr-16 20:00:28

Just to add - I have no issues with Instagram and have hoeourhly researched / discussed plus regular 'review' of posts and use so comments/input specifically on MAGCON and how to deal with this fad is what I'm really after. Thanks

N0tSoEvilStepmum Tue 12-Apr-16 20:53:25

Ditto - my 12yr old likewise social media savvy & also wants to go but I am not sure.... Grateful for any input from parents who have been to such an event

123rd Tue 12-Apr-16 23:42:47

Which losers? Are they you tubers or the like ? £100 is pricey!

VimFuego101 Tue 12-Apr-16 23:46:16

Yep, basically social media stars. I wouldn't mind her going although it sounds like a waste of money but would you be going too or does she just want to go with friends?

123rd Wed 13-Apr-16 00:07:04

I wouldn't let my dd go at the age of 12 to the 02...but we are country bumpkins so city folk might think it's okgrin (& I also wouldn't pay £100 to go with her!)

mammamic Wed 13-Apr-16 01:21:00

Instagram/Vine 'stars'. I don't know if I mind her going cos at the mo - I just did not get it. I don't get why she wants to go. They are literally famous because they have millions of followers . A few attempt singing and some are quite good at posting funny clips but that's it.

At that price - I'm not sure we can go with her - is probably just get the basic ticket (£20) and wait outside - the £100 ticket is to meet them for pics etc. They've finally found a way to make lots of dosh for doing nothing but wasting time online. As I said - bunch of losers

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 13-Apr-16 01:26:13

Eek, that is pricey, I wouldn't pay that either

mammamic Wed 13-Apr-16 01:26:43

I may have to lie! Say it sold out. She's a really good girl and it is very rare for her to ask for anything. When i started to say it is unlikely that she can go, she cried. Totally out of character. It's hormones too - she's hit puberty big time and started her periods 3 months ago so everything is a big deal. She's never wanted anything this badly.

this is going to be a hard decision either way

Baconyum Wed 13-Apr-16 01:32:38

My dd aged 15 is into youtubers and IMO that is ridiculously expensive! We've been to see Zoe and Joe suggs who are very successful and tickets were around 1/4 of that price AND included a signed copy of their latest book and a few mins chatting and a photo. In my view Zoe and Joe and similar have put a lot of work into their status and do a lot for less fortunate people too. The instagrammers seem to just be flying on their coat tails doing much less.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 13-Apr-16 01:32:57

Saying that, be on her side with her obsession, even if they are a bunch of losers
Dd likes bands that sound to me like a bunch of angry men banging pan lids together.
I do buy her the stuff associated with the pan lidders and listen to it with her after consuming alcohol.
Keep her onside as much as you can

mammamic Wed 13-Apr-16 09:19:32

Thanks everyone

As BrilloHair says - I usually am very tolerant supportive of whatever she's in to but this latest thing just seems out of my comprehension.

I may look into finding something cheaper like Bacony's Suggs boys and see if those interest her too.

I didn't think it could get worse than Miley Cyrus as ahe was transitioning from Hannah Montanna. DD was about 5 and the show was way too loud even by O2 standards and inappropriate for her age.

Tickets go and on sale Friday - I'll keep you posted

123rd Wed 13-Apr-16 17:41:27

Guess what...? Just got home from work and my DD is waving an Instagram message from her friend with a pic of the eventsad I've said we can't justify £100 for a tix...she is now pissed off at me. That's soooooo much money. What do you actually get for it? There isn't a lot of info on the O2 /ticket stub site

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 13-Apr-16 22:48:56

Actually, backtracking a bit, but what will it cost in total and how much does she want to go?
I'm asking as I took DD to see a pan lidder band (Fallout Boy), in another city.
I think the ticket for her was only around £30, but train fare, overnight hotel, food etc and it cost easily more than £100.

123rd Wed 13-Apr-16 23:02:43

We recently went away for a v special weekend to see one of her fav bands. ( it was a Xmas pressie) and stayed in hotel for a night, shopping and meal so we do treat her to nice things. I just £100 for 2 hrs queuing up is silly.

theendoftheshowshow Sat 16-Apr-16 09:58:49

Tbh if you can afford it I would - but only as a birthday / xmas present.

Even tho it is a complete waste of money, things like that are so important at that age. I still hold a grudge against my parents for not letting me go to a concert I was desperate to go to as a teen! I would have happily had the ticket as a present, money was not an issue - it just wasn't their kind of thing to do.

mammamic Fri 22-Apr-16 13:39:57

A week on and there is an update.

Her dad spent the best part of an entire evening online and got her a ticket for her birthday. The parents' tickets are £18 and he can stay with her the whole time. And yes, it's a birthday present (the actual event is the weekend after her birthday).

She is totally ecstatic - she cried for joy when we told her!!!

It's a full day thing - from around 10am to 9pm. The deal is that she will have to pay for all the food, snacks, refreshments etc for her and her dad that day (she has a debit card for her account where her pocket money goes each week).

So glad that I'm not going - result!

thank again everyone - your comments were really helpful

SnowyDeer Fri 20-May-16 19:43:39

Personally I think they're talentless but if she really wants this I think it's worth it

vickibear Fri 01-Jul-16 07:11:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now