Allowance for 10 yo DD

(4 Posts)
FullOfChoc Sun 20-Mar-16 20:51:28

One of DD's friends is getting £15 a week as an allowance. This is to cover presents for friend's parties, clothes and shoes apart from school things.

I think this is an interesting way to teach them about money and am thinking about starting an allowance, in September, when DD starts secondary school. I'm interested to know if anyone has done this, how much the allowance is and what it does and doesn't cover.

DD does lots of sports and will need trainers, dance shoes and suitable clothes. We also need sensible clothes for camping ans walking holidays, which I can't see her willingly spending her allowance on.

dementedpixie Mon 21-Mar-16 09:51:27

I don't think they should pay for their own (required) footwear and clothes. If they want fashion stuff fair enough but not stuff they need day to day. £15 a week is a lot, we are more like £5 but then they don't have to pay for all their worldly goods out of it

TeenAndTween Wed 23-Mar-16 12:44:52

Personally I would start smaller with a smaller set of things for her to be responsible for. Then gradually increase as you see how she gets on.

e.g. you supply all required stuff for school and hobbies and core casual. if she wants extras such as fashion top you don't like, or nail varnish etc she pays.

FullOfChoc Wed 23-Mar-16 19:29:33

Thanks all, £5 a week would be a starting point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now