12 yo DS playing Minecraft ALL THE TIME

(15 Posts)
Cookingwine Mon 08-Feb-16 21:22:59

and it worries me for some reason. He doesn't interact with us at all anymore. When I say he plays too much and should stop he says : Why? And all I can say is: I don't think this is good for you. I don't sound really convincing I'm afraid. Shall I just ban it?

GummyBunting Mon 08-Feb-16 21:26:01

No don't ban it, minecraft has many good elements, but like anything, a varied diet is best.

As his parent it's your responsibility to ensure he's getting a good variety of play. It can include minecraft, but shouldn't exclusively.

MidnightVelvetthe5th Mon 08-Feb-16 21:26:13

Is it minecraft itself or is it the amount of time he is spending on it?

Maybe impose a set screen time? I tell my 2 that it's not real life and that humans aren't meant to play on screens for too long as it's unhealthy

Cookingwine Mon 08-Feb-16 21:28:03

What is a reasonable amount of screen time?

sootica Mon 08-Feb-16 21:29:20

My daughter is a bit younger (nearly 9) but minecraft had this hypnotic the quality too. She would get out of bed at 6.30am to get the iPad before anyone else on the family and be on it before she'd even had a wee. I imposed set screen time hours (an hour on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday) and extra to be earned by jobs and extra piano practice etc. I just cracked one day and said that it was too much minecraft and she would have to balance it and earn time when she'd completed other tasks. She accepted it straight away as she realised I was serious

MidnightVelvetthe5th Mon 08-Feb-16 21:31:13

I do no screens at all in the morning on a school day, yes to an hour after school every day, Saturday mornings and they do other things in the afternoon, Sunday mornings and homework on Sunday afternoons.

Cookingwine Mon 08-Feb-16 21:31:59

He comes home from school at 5:15, he has nearly one hour of commute which he spends on his phone playing other mind boggling games, then does his homework for about 45 min, then on Minecraft, watching a YouTube video on his iPad mini while simultaneously playing it on his laptop until 8:30, except for a 15 min dinner. And sometimes a bath.

MidnightVelvetthe5th Mon 08-Feb-16 21:32:43

Oh and screen time doesn't start before 7am on weekends, as my ds would get up early otherwise and be knackered smile

PinanNidan Mon 08-Feb-16 21:33:43

Have no advice but i feel your pain!

Cookingwine Mon 08-Feb-16 21:34:15

Week end it is all day. He goes to a friends on Saturday afternoons and they play Minecraft again.

Cookingwine Mon 08-Feb-16 21:39:51

Yes I shall impose some limits

Dungandbother Mon 08-Feb-16 21:58:05

Mine are much younger and I have the same problems.

I use the iPad timer, kitchen clock timer and insist that good manners rule the roost.

If they don't help out - plates in dishwasher, clothes put away, homework (done properly not rushed) then I let them use tech.
And it goes off for an hour before bedtime when toys or games or reading are compulsory. If they whinge they lose twenty mins in the next session.
And enforce!

Turn the router off!

You can do it!

Dungandbother Mon 08-Feb-16 21:59:16

Try this

Cookingwine Tue 09-Feb-16 06:08:43

I like the idea of earning screen time

WeAllHaveWings Tue 09-Feb-16 06:15:35

Find other things for him to do. Chores. Eat dinner together and have a conversation to make it last longer. Take him swimming/to activities. Invite friends over. Play a board game with him.

Don't limit screen time, engage him in something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now