Underarm hair removal for nearly 12 year old

(24 Posts)
teacherwith2kids Sat 25-Oct-14 14:49:08

DD has the first signs of underarm hair. It is fairly invisible at the moment, but as a dancer she is forever in a leotard waving her arms above her head, so will need an efficient method of hair removal as soon as it is even vaguely obvious to anyone else.

As I'm an eczema-y type, shaving has been pretty much the only option available to me. A brief browse in Boots indicated that there are a whole range of hair removal creams out there, including some for sensitive skin and for the underarm area.

What would the least hassle be? It is going to need to be something that can be used regularly.

LaQueenIsKickingThroughLeaves Sat 25-Oct-14 16:18:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Clarita12345 Sat 15-Nov-14 07:55:06

Shouldn't be touching it at all at this age.. Still growing with hormones imbalance... But Waxing is the answer. No shaving at all... The hair will become thicker, coarser and darker.
Waxing with never shaving in between will lessen the hair over the years to almost zero.
Be in the room with her to tell the therapist and make sure that Sri only waxing the area where the hair is no more so she doesn't encourage baby hair to grow more.
I am a beauty therapist, I run my salon in central Londonsmile

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 16-Nov-14 12:14:53

My DD is only 10, but already has had very visible dark underarm hair and is also a dancer. She is mortified about it ( even though I explain it's very normal) so going to a beauty therapist is a no no even if financially it was an option.
I use the minimum amount of Veet about once every three months to remove the hair for her.

Whereisegg Mon 17-Nov-14 12:30:10

Shaving won't make the hair thicker or darker, puberty will do that hmm

My dd is 11 and no signs of hairs anywhere yet.
If she expresses a wish to remove hairs at some point in the future we will discuss the options I feel suitable, and she can choose whichever she wants.
Those options will probably be cream, my shaving for her (to start) as above, or waxing with a warning that it will be sore initially.

Clarita12345 Mon 17-Nov-14 21:59:29

Unless you are an expert in hair/ waxing... Ms Whereisegg... Shaving does make the hair thicker, coarser winkwink

Whereisegg Mon 17-Nov-14 22:09:30

So if I am an expert, it doesn't?

psychomum5 Mon 17-Nov-14 22:16:46

Just shave it. It will be easier and quicker in the long run.

I say this as a much to three dancers, who have all been shaving their armpits since they showed signs of hair.

On another note.....shaving does not make the hair darker or coarser. It does not go near the root of the hair to enable the changes to be made.....it make the ends blunter, but does nothing to the growth rate or type of hair. If it did, I would have bushes growing under my arms, instead of the approx 15 hairs I have to shave, and have always had to shave, since age 12.

Whereisegg Mon 17-Nov-14 22:22:38

I can understand why a beauty salon owner would want people to think that shaving makes body hair thicker/darker/coarser grin

psychomum5 Mon 17-Nov-14 22:35:42

Have to make their money somehow wink.

I would NEVER subject my 12yr old to waxing.....it bloody hurts!

Mind you, the one and only time I had any part of me waxed, it was my bikini area, and I bled!! Each hair ripped out was agony and each bled, and then ingrew when finally they grew back. Worst mistake I ever did.

Made worse by the only clothing that that I had to wear that was loose enough in that area (was going on holiday and had packed all my summer stuff), was a pair of white linen trousers. Well, you can imagine the rest hey...

<still traumatised>

Vickisuli Wed 19-Nov-14 22:53:25

Love the way that hairdressers and beauty therapists say that shaving makes it thicker, and that cutting your hair makes it grow thicker too. As psychomum5 said, what you do to the ends has no effect on the roots.

It SEEMS like it makes your hair thicker to cut it because you cut off the wispy ends so you only feel the thicker part further up, and it SEEMS like shaving makes it grow thicker and coarser because you see the new blunt ends of hair whereas with waxing you see the wispy ends of new hairs. I have shaved all my life and am no hairier now than I was when I started.

I also wouldn't get a child to wax, or any other method that hurts. It's hard enough being a young teenager without adding pain to embarrassment. Shaving or cream will be fine.

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Wed 19-Nov-14 22:59:15

Shaving get her some decent razors, my DD cuts herself to bits with cheap razors and she been shaving for years.

I wouldn't recommend waxing on such delicate skin she will have years to decide if she wants to go down that road.

Defiantly do a small test patch if using hair removal cream as I cant even use sensitive stuff it makes my skin raw same as shaving gel.

landrover Thu 01-Jan-15 22:34:12

Well, I am a beauty therapist and would go for shaving personally or cream. And yes, shaving certainly doesn't make the hair thicker!!! Although it may feel different as it grows back!

Hulababy Sat 03-Jan-15 08:30:04

12y dd uses hair removal cream under her arms. You don't need very much and it doesn't take very long.

I thought it was common knowledge that shaving DOES NOT cause hair to grow back thicker and darker. It just sometimes looks a bit darker and thinker as you see the blunt ends.

DirtyBlonde Sat 03-Jan-15 08:47:11

The coarseness of your body hair in general is determined by your genes, and the texture on an individual hair is determined by how it grows, subcutaneously in the hair bulb.

Shaving makes no difference whatsoever to what happens in the hair bulb. That is biological fact.

Blunt ends from shaving can look different. And plucking/waxing does pull the hair right from the bulb (if it doesn't break off above that point, which it does sometimes). It's possible that, depending on your genes, the repeated early loss of hairs from the bulbs might lead to weaker growth but that is not necessarily going to happen for everyine.

NannyPhlegm Sat 03-Jan-15 08:54:25

My mum fell for the "shaving makes your hair grow thicker" line and encouraged me to wax my legs & underarms; I think I was 13 at the time. It hurt like a bitch and left me with a burn when the therapist accidentally dropped wax on me before cooling it (my fault, I flinched sad). My mum was very upset and regretted it.

Have always shaved since then and 25 years of shaving has not made my hair any coarser or thicker than it originally was.

DropYourSword Sat 03-Jan-15 09:02:46

I would actually just speak to your daughter about different options available and let her decide herself!

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sat 03-Jan-15 09:14:52

I agree with PPs, discuss options and let your DD decide, but if she goes for cream, be sure and do a small patch test first (remembering my first and only Immac experience at about that age, when I sneaked some in the house and whapped it on as per instructions and realised PDQ I was allergic. Ow.). Armpits are sensitive.

differentnameforthis Sat 03-Jan-15 09:34:58

So sad that mothers already feel the need to strip their daughters of what is a natural part of growing up!

They don't need to shave yet...let them be!

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sat 03-Jan-15 11:34:33

Sorry Different, but that response from my mum was why I had to sneak Immac into the house instead of discussing it with her. I think pretty much everyone has said discuss it - ie only if DD wants to remove the hair will it be removed. Her body, her choice.

DropYourSword Sat 03-Jan-15 11:43:40

Yes different I would have much preferred my mum to discuss with me! but she undermined my desire to get rid of unwanted hair so I had to sneak to do it without guidance. Wouldn't personally do that if I had a daughter in future. Not blaming her, just sharing my opinion from my experience.

AuntieStella Sat 03-Jan-15 11:43:42

different it's not the mother who wants her DD to do this. It's a need to meet the presentation standards for the types of dance she does where armpits are on show.

Unless/until that changes, the girls will conform.

My reading of the OP's post is that she's not trying to hurry this is any way, but is seeking to be ready as soon as her DD says she wants it.

Hulababy Sun 04-Jan-15 15:16:30

differentnameforthis

My 12y DD decided herself that she wanted to. No one told her she had to. Some of her friends do, some don't.

I saw no good reason to ban her from being able to remove her own body hair if she so wished.

monique1m Thu 10-Nov-16 14:08:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now