Pocket money for 12 year old

(11 Posts)
MrsConnor13 Tue 22-Jul-14 08:59:23

Hiya, this is my first ever post so fingers crossed I get it right smile my 12 year old gets £10 a fortnight from his dad (we're divorced but I have remarried). This often gets saved or spent in books/games. Now it's the summer hols I'm unsure how much money to give him per week? He goes out most days with his friends...I was thinking maybe £10 a week (basically his school
Dinner money). Good idea? Too little? Too much!

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Tue 22-Jul-14 09:01:50

Nope I think thatvis a good amount. Like you said his dinner money amount. Although this is just for bits and bobs i take it not food? Perhaps 15 per week if you can afford?

ElephantsNeverForgive Tue 22-Jul-14 09:07:43

Thats a brilliant idea, I'm fed of random holiday top ups for my 13y.

If I think of them as being instead of dinner money, rather than an extra expence, they won't make me so grumpy.

Amount is still a bit awkward as she asks DH for dinner money in a total random manner and I don't know what he gives her (joint account, so it doesn't actually effect anything)

guineapig2014 Tue 22-Jul-14 09:19:35

My dd (12) gets 12 pounds a month!!! Far less than your child

MrsConnor13 Tue 22-Jul-14 22:45:39

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to stick to the dinner money idea - he has to use it for all entertainment - cinema, swimming etc - tho swimming is free in most pools. Let's hope it works smile

WeeClype Tue 22-Jul-14 23:06:20

My DS is 11 and I was saying to him the other day that if he does set chores each week the ones I hate I'd set up a standing order of £10 a week to his account. We've not discussed what he'll actually do to earn this tenner a week tho!

BackforGood Wed 23-Jul-14 20:58:51

My 12 yr old gets £12 a month too.
There's another thread running where the OP is giving her 12 yr old £35 a week!! Most people on that are saying it's ridiculous, but ultimately, it's down to what you can afford, and what you think he needs to buy.
Things like - is he paying for bus fares - make a big difference to what he can spend.

TheFirstOfHerName Wed 23-Jul-14 21:09:38

My 12 year old gets £12 a month, plus an annual bonus at the beginning of the summer holidays (based on number of merits earned for effort at school since September). This year it was £40ish.

MmeLindor Sun 27-Jul-14 23:36:18

My 12 yr old gets £5 a week in term-time, and is encouraged to save it.

DS is 9yrs old and bought a used Xbox from the money he had saved, and DD is saving for a MacBook.

Might do the same, with the extra 'dinner money' and they have to use for swimming trips, cinema etc. Great idea.

perthmom Thu 31-Jul-14 05:57:40

Both my kids get $5 (Aus) a week. They're encouraged to save this. They say everyone else gets "way more", but neither of them really do any chores around the house and I've always said if they help a bit more, they'll earn more money. This is yet to happen! My daughter did announce last week that she'd do the dishes every day for $10 a week, but only lasted one day... On top of this, they do get one day a week when they get money to spend at the school canteen. I supply any money required for cinema trips, etc. Ultimately it depends on what you can afford I guess. I suppose if I won a load of money, I'd be more generous wink

dementedma Thu 31-Jul-14 06:34:32

Mine gets £16 a month.
Odd figure and can't remember how it came about....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now