DD got a boy haircut...

(46 Posts)
LastingLight Tue 10-Jun-14 15:11:41

... and I hate it. sad She and I have been having this fight when we go to the hairdressers for several years now and eventually today I caved and said fine, do whatever you want. So now it's short back and sides, longer and sticking up on the top. I know it's her hair and I should accept her for what she is and not try to change her, but I simply don't like it. Just ranting...

TessTackle Tue 10-Jun-14 15:16:24

Good thing it's not your hair then.

Oh and FYI short hair isn't "boy hair".

hmm

17leftfeet Tue 10-Jun-14 15:17:18

Does she like it?

AnonButRegular Tue 10-Jun-14 15:18:14

It's hair.

It will grow.

As long as she's happy, does it matter? Really?

Hair grows.... sorry you don't like it, but it's her hair.

NoglenTilLykke Tue 10-Jun-14 15:19:34

Mymy dd got a short cut recently i love it.

NoglenTilLykke Tue 10-Jun-14 15:20:08

Like above post

Nocomet Tue 10-Jun-14 15:31:44

DD has spectacular long auburn hair, she wants to chop 1/2 of it off sad

I know it will grow again, but ....

unrealhousewife Tue 10-Jun-14 15:33:37

You sound very controlling, no wonder she's rebelled!

Nocomet Tue 10-Jun-14 15:35:33

Apart from the fact that when it's clean and brushed it's beautiful, I know she has no patience. She wants an arty fringe, it will drive her nuts, it will end up gripped up out the way.

LastingLight Tue 10-Jun-14 15:35:54

Oh ffs, I let her do it didn't I and I came here to vent because irl I'm going to have to defend her decision to other people. And yes, short isn't boy, I've had very short hair at times but in feminine styles. What she has is a boy style.

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Tue 10-Jun-14 15:37:20

I'd hate it too if it's what I'm thinking of. Basically like my husband's standard barbers haircut.

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Tue 10-Jun-14 15:38:12

Hopefully it's just a phase OP. Not what you imagine when you have a little girl is it?

Deverethemuzzler Tue 10-Jun-14 15:41:46

Sorry but LOL my arse off at 'you sound very controlling'

Give over!

I may not agree with what the OP is saying re boy's and girl's hair (mine is very short) but how the hell do you make an assessment of the OP's sociopathic tendencies based on a couple of posts?

I was really upset when my DS1 cut all his locs off.
Doesn't mean I keep my kids locked under the stairs grin

D0oinMeCleanin Tue 10-Jun-14 15:42:01

There's boy hair and girl hair? confused I thought there was just hair?

I wish mine would theirs chopped. Instead they leave it to grow and grow and grow and muggins here has to pay for all the products they need to stop it turning into a tangled mess

Sounds cool - in both senses.

LastingLight Tue 10-Jun-14 15:42:46

17leftfeet yes she likes it.

Nocomet I feel your pain.

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals and therein lies the rub... I guess I'm scared that my tomboy who refuses to wear anything girly, now has short short hair and tells me she wants to be a boy will never have a female identity. And if that happens and this his who she ends up being we will deal with it and support her and still love her. I just struggle with the idea... so I guess the hair is a symbol of a whole lot more.

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Tue 10-Jun-14 15:45:25

It sounds like it. She does seem to be going through a lot but it is a credit to you that she's happy to say these things to you. Vent away on here if it allows you to be measured and calm when it comes to your conversations with her.

Hang on - how old is she? Are you saying you're worried that she may be a lesbian?

Xcountry Tue 10-Jun-14 15:45:31

She might grow out of it, I was a tomboy and I shaved tiger stripes into my hair. I still wouldn't class myself as a girly girl - I don't really wear make up or dresses etc and I am more at home in my wellies but I scrub up not too bad when I want to

I've just had a look at my school photo circa 1976.
Out of the 20-odd children in the photo, only 3 have hair longer than chin length.
Except for those three the rest of us have almost identical short haircuts, boys and girls.
We are wearing shorts/trousers and t-shirts. Two girls are wearing a dress.
Nobody is wearing pink.

We don't seem to have been haunted by decades of identity confusion.

unrealhousewife Tue 10-Jun-14 15:57:27

When you said you battled with her for years at the hairdressers to keep her hair long is evidence fairly controlling behaviour, you get no sympathy from me I'm afraid.

'FFS I let her do it' She needed permission?

ThankYouShopkeeper Tue 10-Jun-14 15:58:05

What is it that worries you about her never having a "female identity" as you put it? That she will have an unhappy life? That you won't have anything in common?

LastingLight Tue 10-Jun-14 16:32:02

She's 12. I'm not a girly girl either so I don't want my daughter to be a pink princess. I just want her to feel comfortable in her skin and at the same time fit into society to a degree that makes her happy. So a lot of this is about me not her, I get that.

And she's had short hair for several years, and I mean no hair over the ears short, but in a more feminine style than she has now.

LastingLight Tue 10-Jun-14 16:34:20

In the holidays she wanted a golden mohawk so I bought her golden hair spray and helped her gel her hair into a mohawk. I don't dictate every aspect of how she looks every day. I just wish I could instill a sense that sometimes you have to wear something that is appropriate to the occasion rather than what you want to wear because you want to make a statement. Now I suppose I will be flamed for that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now