Where do you shop for preteen girls clothes and what kind of things are you buying?

(38 Posts)
stressedtransition Sun 08-Jun-14 08:33:16

I am not into fashion at all, dd really is but a lot of what she has is now too babyish apparently, she wants more grown up clothes but I have not a clue!

Voter101 Sun 08-Jun-14 08:38:53

Zara and Gap for dd (11yrs)
I'd like to shop in monsoon but dd vetoes most of it. M and S occasionally have nice things (in with all the dross).

Boden has some nice bits but a bit £££

pamplemoussed Sun 08-Jun-14 08:39:13

If your dd is big enough for a size 6 or 8 try new look, top shop etc. fat face is also popular in our house, H&M, Zara (hit or miss but some great hits). Gap can also be good, size 6 ladies skinny jeans etc.
Mayoral is also a good, non kiddy brand, we find it in our local department store. Johnnie B from Boden is expensive but good in sales.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 08-Jun-14 08:39:52

Dd is 13, small for her age though.

We shop in New Look, Primark, h&m mainly. Some Tammy girl stuff in bhs but they don't have much choice.

Go shopping at a big shopping centre on a Saturday and have a coffee somewhere before starting and look what the other girls, slightly older, are wearing.

Depends what style she wants. Dd wears a lot of leggings with vest tops and see through sleeveless blouses over the vest. Sometimes wears t-shirts. Tends to wear Toms or Converse on her feet. Denim cut off shorts for summer. Uggs in winter.

pamplemoussed Sun 08-Jun-14 08:40:32

Actually, new look have a separate teen section, for 10-15 in larger branches . Definitely worth a look.

Katz Sun 08-Jun-14 08:40:51

We recently did some clothes shopping for dd1, we went to new look and their generation range, next and h&m

VivaLeBeaver Sun 08-Jun-14 08:40:51

Oh and harem type trousers are becoming popular. Dd just got some size 6 adult ones in Tesco. She's normally too short for adult trousers but these seem shorter.

imsorryiasked Sun 08-Jun-14 08:45:44

Try M&co (online if you don't have a store nearby) they have a separate teen girls section.

stressedtransition Sun 08-Jun-14 08:47:34

Thanks.
At the moment we seem to just have a lot of jeans and tshirts with a few dresses thrown in.

WisemansBridge Sun 08-Jun-14 08:58:23

My dd is eleven. She wears converse with denim shorts usually - we have so many pairs of denim shorts in varying lengths it's unbelievable and we've bought these all over - Gap, Zara, Sainsbury's, Primark...

On colder days she wears black leggings or black tights underneath. Leggings we always buy from h&m, tights usually from Sainsbury's (just buy women's size small).

T shirts - she has some plain ones from h&m and Primark and then some from Hollister and animal.

She wears cardigans or hoodies, again from all over.

She also wears skater skirts and skater dresses - mostly Tesco and h&m. And jeans and jeggings where we find asda and Primark the best fit.

Madmog Sun 08-Jun-14 09:48:42

My daughter likes NewLook and River Island sections for girls. She very much knows what she wants to wear these days. If you're not sure, take her with you and see what she picks out - that way you know she likes it and you can judge if you are happy for her to wear it.

EdithWeston Sun 08-Jun-14 09:50:43

Another one here with a DD mainly in shorts and Converse. We get most stuff at ASDA.

Fairylea Sun 08-Jun-14 09:53:53

Dd 11 here. We buy most of her stuff in a size 6. Mainly from h and m and primark. She loves converse and also likes lots of things from the teen section in new look.

Takver Sun 08-Jun-14 10:11:28

I'd second New Look teen range. Next online if you can face the awful catalogue has some better stuff than the stores, at least round here.

DD (12) lives in jeans and t-shirts, but they have to be the right jeans and t-shirt grin H&M has mostly been a wash-out, but worth trying.

Boden Johnny B is expensive, but she does have a pair of boyfriend jeans from there which absolutely hit the spot and get worn more than anything else, their stuff generally seems to last so I think it was worth the money.

Most recent purchase was a £10 dress from the Lanes in Brighton, black with bright orange skulls all over it - should you be in Brighton ever then head down the furthest reaches of the Lanes past the fancy shops & you'll find all manner of nice things for not too much money to make any pre-teen happy! Sadly we're only there very, very occasionally . . .

Takver Sun 08-Jun-14 10:12:49

I'd definitely agree that at this age they need to do the shopping. DD has a notional £15 per month clothes allowance, which works well for us (so she can choose the expensive Johnny B jeans realising it means less of other things).

dancemom Sun 08-Jun-14 10:44:37

next, h&m, river island, primark usually

revolutionarytoad Sun 08-Jun-14 10:50:28

I liked New Look when I was 10-13.
What about La Redoute? is that trendy enough?

Alita7 Mon 09-Jun-14 19:41:35

Primark, sainsburys and tescos. Occasionnally h & m, tk maxx or new look when there's a sale on.

Dsds who lives with us (10) non school waredrobe consists of around 15 t shirts, 4 vest tops, 3 nice tops/blouses, 2 pairs of jeans, denim shorts, cotton shorts, 3 skirts, 5-7 dresses, 3 jumpers, 2 cardigans, 2 hoodies, about 5 pairs of leggings about 4 pairs of jogging bottoms and 1 pair of dungaree shorts. She has 3 coats and a kagoule.

ephpa95 Wed 11-Jun-14 10:21:12

New Look, River Island, Topshop petite section has some really small and fine dresses. And: My DD learns sewing in a weekly course and is making a lot of her own stuff!!!

bananasandchocolate Mon 23-Jun-14 20:14:20

New look, topshop petite, primark, h&m, urban outfitters and zara all seem popular with that age group. Hope that helped!

moolady1977 Mon 21-Jul-14 12:06:37

loads of great ideas i just wish i could get my dd 12 out of trackies and trainers and hoodies

MmeLindor Sun 27-Jul-14 23:42:02

DD likes New Look and Primark, but we also get a lot from M&S at the moment.

She might like this post about tween fashion - maybe look at it together and chat about what kind of thing she likes.

I was pleasantly surprised by Mango, as I hadn't realised they did kids' fashion

nannyplum75 Mon 28-Jul-14 17:09:24

Benetton in the sales is a good price and lots of bright colours

Pagwatch Mon 28-Jul-14 17:22:16

Dd is 11.
She loves TopShop and before we went on holiday we trawled through River Island and H&M for some bits and pieces. The kids stuff at River island was a bit grim but she got some pretty summer dresses and a cut off denim jacket in the main store.
She has a few things - shorts and tops -from Hollister in the sale but hates the logo t-shirts and hoodies. She got a strapless dress from superdry which she loves.

It's a weird age. Mostly sizes 4 or 6 from TopShop are best on her if the are not cut to shape over breasts she doesn't have. The quality tends to be better than H&M etc too.

MmeLindor Wed 30-Jul-14 20:58:21

Oh, wouldn't have thought of small woman's sizes, Pagwatch. Will have a look in Topshop.

I agree that it is a very tricky age. Clothes are either too grown up or too little girly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now