2nd period and dd not wanting to msis her swimming

(9 Posts)
lexcat Sun 06-Apr-14 11:39:23

Not sure if she would be alright to try tampons. Have brought her a bag of things when she started last month including tampons with applicator and some without, both are designed for teens. Knew she would want them at some stage as swimmimg is her passion and she hates to miss lessons just hoped it would be longer before the period and swimming over laped.

exexpat Sun 06-Apr-14 11:41:16

No reason why she shouldn't have a go at using tampons, but it may take a while before she's completely comfortable and confident with them.

Innogen Mon 07-Apr-14 05:28:31

If you're old enough to have a period, you are old enough and ready for tampons.

Solo Mon 07-Apr-14 05:39:24

Mooncup?

TeeBee Wed 16-Apr-14 12:40:03

I used tampons from the very outset. Never used anything else. It don't see the problem.

Ludways Wed 16-Apr-14 12:48:07

I used tampons from my first period due to that exact reason, I was fine.

alita7 Wed 16-Apr-14 15:00:45

How old is she?

I was 10 and my mum wouldn't let me use tampons then obviously, and at able 12, I was fed up of the pads and tried to use one of hers and didn't realise what to do with the applicator so left it in, found it very uncomfortable and gave up on tampons until I eventually googled what to do and ended up buying my own smile But yes at 10 or even younger, tampons might seem a bit invasive, but if she's started secondary school it is probably more practical and she will be more likely to understand how to use them properly.

I personally find the ones without an applicator are easier (especially as I have a retroverted uterus so the applicators don't put it back far enough to be comfortable. But as a young girl she might not want to use her fingers and get them all dirty.

Nocomet Wed 16-Apr-14 15:12:07

DD1 is a fish and learnt to use tampons by her third period.

I don't know if DD2 has tried yet. She doesn't swim much in winter.

DD2 is a far more private soul than DD1, so she may well not bother to tell me. There are boxes of tampons in both bathrooms that DD1 and me share (mini pill means I have lighter periods than they do) and I just replace them and the pads when stocks look low.

MaxsMummy2012 Wed 16-Apr-14 15:20:08

Tampons will be fine if she is confident enough to use them just make sure you teach her about TSS (toxic shock) as it's quite often young teens who end up ill due to a lack of knowledge on this. I think lil-lets do teen slim fit tampons which might be easier for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now