facts of life for 9 year olds

(5 Posts)
Lifebeginsat41 Mon 31-Mar-14 16:48:59

The other day one of my twins found my tampons in my bag and when they asked me about them I managed to change the subject. It then got me thinking as this maybe the best lead in to talk to them about puberty. What is the best book to buy for boy / girl twins to explain to them the facts of life and puberty.

could you not just have said it was for periods and then explained what they were? DS (7) and dd (10) know about periods and other facts of life just by talking about it rather than using a book.

notnowbernard Mon 31-Mar-14 21:44:17

I'm quite surprised they didn't know what tampons are, tbh

WeAllHaveWings Mon 31-Mar-14 22:06:28

Ds(10) and we did lets talk with him at 7.

Have got what's happening to me for the puberty bit, but he's not interested in it yet, he's known the basics of he'll get hairy, smelly, erections are his willy getting ready for sex, periods happen to ladies each month if a baby isnt made etc. for a while.

I find its best answer as and when they ask, we've had some interesting question in some aisles in tescos! Don't change the subject it will just make them stop asking.

If your dd is 9 you better get your skates on, my dsis started her periods at 9 and knew nothing about what was happening so was a bit of a shock for her.

Lifebeginsat41 Tue 01-Apr-14 09:51:14

Tx you are right and the next time it comes up I will talk to them about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now