Preteen clothes

(12 Posts)
Rosie29 Fri 14-Mar-14 10:26:21

Can I ask where you buy your 10-12 year old dds clothes from? I live abroad so cannot get to UK shops until we come over on holiday but can shop online. My dd is very tall, reasonably thin around the waist but has wide hips. She is very non girly so is hard to buy for. We went to Zara yesterday, found a few tops and leggings but she is about to grow out of size 13-14. Do we start shopping in the adult department? Any ideas great fully received.

OldBeanbagz Fri 14-Mar-14 11:28:27

DD (12yo) buys clothes from H&M, Primark, Gap. Occasionally Benneton and Zara too.

She's 5ft3" tall and slim so we have no problem with tops from the adult department (UK size 6 or XS) but bottoms we struggle on due to them being too big on the waist.

Where are you? Primark is in Europe (mostly Spain) and H&M is too.

SkipandTink Fri 14-Mar-14 11:33:02

my 11 year old loves h&m as well, and is also very non girly - she likes leggings, shorts and long tops, she likes greys and blacks and blues - we're lucky that we get amazing hand me downs from an older friend whose style she really admires! hard though - whenever I do look in clothes shops for her, I find the girls clothes aimed at this age too grown up looking

poorbuthappy Fri 14-Mar-14 11:36:05

H&M gap definitely

Nocomet Fri 14-Mar-14 11:36:38

Size 8 adult from dotty p, river island and Newlook are with a try if they deliver to you.

H&M sizing on adult stuff is very random so a pain by post.

Next age 16 children's was long last time I bought something.

Stinklebell Fri 14-Mar-14 12:07:05

Mine's 12, tall but thin

Kids departments - H&M, New Look, Zara, Gap

I've found size 6 or XS in adult sizes fit fine (needs a belt with waist bands though) from Topshop, Newlook, Hollister, Jack Wills and Primark

She's not in the slightest bit 'girly', tends to wear skinnies, slouchy top and Vans/Converse

Rosie29 Fri 14-Mar-14 21:18:41

Thank you so much, great ideas. There is an h&m about an hour away which I have never been to so we'll take a trip there. Will check out Primark in the summer in the UK and new look etc. I have another extremely tall dd and also find the older girls stuff so grown up, she is a size 12 but only 7. I wish zara did bigger sizes, we can usually find something there. I also thought of Fat Face, does anyone know what their sizing is like for kids?

Nocomet Sat 15-Mar-14 10:49:00

If you can try stuff on H&M is definitely worth a trip, just be sure to keave lots of time for trying on.

DD1(nearly 12) has just gotten into Hollister. I only buy it online, and from the Sale selection. The sale prices are probably close to Gap regular prices. The site is eu.hollisterco.com. Sale is last Menu item.

I buy XS sweattops and t-shirts for her, they are a bit big (they are teen sizing), but she likes to wear them that way. From what I've seen in the shops, the leggings and jeans would be much too big for her.

We buy jeans at H&M mostly, they have good range of width. Mine still need super skinny with buttons to further tighten waist.

I also buy GAP, also online, watching what is on sale.

Nataleejah Tue 25-Mar-14 07:18:39

Try SportsDirect -- they do very cool stuff for kids

khadra2001 Tue 27-May-14 16:43:41

Matalan
Hollister
Abercrombie kids
Next
New look
Gap

soddinghormones Wed 28-May-14 06:53:33

H&M is great for trousers - dd's 11 and tall and slim - the H&M super-skinny jeans in 12-13 fit perfectly and still have adjustable waistbands so can stop them falling down

She's very narrow all over so still can't wear adult tops even in XS as they fall off her shoulders - she's got a lot of tops and dresses from johnnieB (Boden's teen range) which fit well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now