11year old DD feeling weird...

(12 Posts)
sandycloud Thu 13-Mar-14 10:04:21

Just that really. We have had tears twice this week. Says she feels strange and weird. She's not worried about anything or feeling stressed. Last night she said she could jump off a bridge as she feels strange. Is this struggling with feeling grown up? I am trying to listen and be patient but it's hard when I don't know what's wrong. She is in year 7 and says everything is fine still school. I managed to snap her out of it last night by starting to plan for the sleepover she's having at the weekend but at the same time I don't want to dismiss her feelings but not sure what to say. Have to add she can be a drama queen. Does anyone have any ideas?

ClaimedByMe Thu 13-Mar-14 10:11:25

I have an 11 year old too, it's awful watching them struggle with changes, I am sure my dd is hormonal as she's quite like me and after a tantrum/rage and some chocolate she's back to herself, I'm like that with pmt.

Sunshineonsea Thu 13-Mar-14 10:11:27

Is she hitting puberty? Could be teenage angst mixed with pmt?

mrsjrob Thu 13-Mar-14 10:12:34

Could it be her period? I was 11 and felt weird and cried for no reason etc just before I got my first period. I think as long as your sure that she's not worried etc then it's probably to do with growing up.

sandycloud Thu 13-Mar-14 10:18:45

She hasn't started periods yet but maybe could be like pmt. it has just been this week so hopefully it won't last. Better go and buy some chocolate!!

aliasjoey Thu 13-Mar-14 10:25:00

Have an 11 year old in Year 7, and I could have written your post! Last night she said that despite having had a good day, she felt everything was "black and grey".

I assume it's hormones. Poor kids, everything happens at the same time - changing school, puberty, suddenly the homework piles on, new responsibilities, friendships are put to the test (especially girls! one day its BFF and the next they are in meltdown...)

Teenage angst at eleven years old sad Tell her it won't last, it's normal, maybe she needs extra sleep - and chocolate is always the answer.

Nocomet Thu 13-Mar-14 10:38:18

I think DD1 got phantom periods for a year or so before she started.

She had odd days off school for stomach ache and feeling sick and horrid that never developed into anything.

Dancergirl Thu 13-Mar-14 14:38:25

Yes sounds like hormones to me.

I also have an (just) 11 year old, Year 6 though. She's emotional at the best of times but lately she's often tearful for no reason at all. She says she doesn't know why she's upset. I think sometimes we want to snap them out of it as quickly as possible but I think you have to just let the feeling pass (which it does).

I would acknowledge her feelings but don't make too much drama out of them if that makes sense.

sandycloud Thu 13-Mar-14 14:46:16

Thank you. Its reassuring to hear it sounds quite normal for this age. I'm sure I was never so dramatic though.

flowerpowergirl Thu 13-Mar-14 14:51:45

Ooh spooky. My DD 10 yr old was off school today with tummy ache and feeling sick but not actually sick nor obviously ill. Spent the day lolling around not quite sure what to do but definitely not right. she has been having mood swings for about 6 months now. One minute lovely the next screaming banshee woman. Poor things. I don't remember it being like this when I was their age. Selective amnesia?!

Stinklebell Thu 13-Mar-14 15:46:46

My 12 year old has ups and downs like this.

One minute feeling fine, next teary, next a screaming banshee, then back to fine. All within the space of an hour. Sometimes we all sit around thinking WTF?

She says sometimes she feels like she's just going to burst and doesn't know why she's crying, she's happy, school is going well, no issues with friends, it just comes out of the blue

It's quite normal I think, hormones plus getting used to all these changes with her body add pret-teen friendship angst, etc, etc, and it all gets a bit much

I've put a comfy chair and a pile of books in the spare room and she takes herself off up there to chill out when she feels like she's going to "burst" and I'm just there with a hug and a chat when she's ready

Olivegirl Thu 13-Mar-14 15:55:53

As a mum of 18 and 16 yr old dds
I know this is normal

They are changing so much at around 11yrs
Just be there for them
I remember just telling them the reasons why they felt like that
And it wouldn't last forever
Distraction where possible helps
Out for walks to a country park
Bit of shopping
Friends round
Keep talking and listening
Hug them lots ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now