Gross but picking scabs?

(9 Posts)
tiredteddy Wed 22-Jan-14 18:22:35

Hi. I'm looking for some ideas or advice about how to help my son. He is 9.

It started in December when he bashed his pencil on his chin and got a scab. He picked this for several weeks not allowing it to heal. He has also been picking the inside top part of his ear where you can sometimes get dried skin. He also does this until it bleeds and scabs.

He is suffering from some spots on his face which he is beginning to pick. And has a scab on the side of his nose that he ha had since new year.

He came out of school yesterday and another parent asked him if he'd had chickenpox? That's how bad his little face looks.

I think it's an unconscious or nervous habit that is developing. I don't want to make him feel bad. What can I do?

tiredteddy Thu 23-Jan-14 10:12:21

Just my child then...

themummyonthebus Thu 23-Jan-14 10:29:59

Oh I didn't want to leave you without an answer but I'm not sure what to suggest. Perhaps plasters on the worst ones? I know it looks weird on the face but it will be a tactile reminder not to scratch if it really is unconscious.

themummyonthebus Thu 23-Jan-14 10:31:11

And what about that spray on bandage stuff for the places where s plaster wouldn't stick (like the ear)?

tiredteddy Thu 23-Jan-14 11:31:07

He's managed to leave his ears alone now. It's his poor face. So hard as I don't want to make him feel bad. But the rate he is going he's going to end up scarring himself! Thanks for you reply.

DealForTheKids Sat 25-Jan-14 15:14:24

Hi OP - this can turn into a bit of a compulsion - look up dermotilamania.

Perhaps a trip to the doctor who can give him a chat about infections etc might help?

tiredteddy Sun 26-Jan-14 13:25:27

Thanks going to google now...

tiredteddy Sun 26-Jan-14 13:53:12

Oh dear, that rings a lot of bells hmm

whois Wed 05-Feb-14 14:01:20

Not very helpful, but I still pick scabs now... I know it's gross, I know it scars, and it's really hard to not do it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now