Instagram. Drama. Rumours

(10 Posts)

My son (11, Y7) is on instagram along with most of his new and former classmates and friends.

Communications with boys seems fine, fun and just normal.
But I have noticed how some of the girls seem to "drop bombs" of information that is less than true, and whipping up storms over nothing. Like "X said this and that about you, is this true" and "are you dating Y", and "Why are you ignoring Z" "Dont you like me any more" and stuff that has his mind boggle.

My son is not "dating" anyone. He loves lego and mindcraft, and is a bit of a geek/nerd. He is just a typical 11 year old boy. Of course he finds some girls pretty, and he likes girls, and he gets along well with girls in general. So far I have told him to just ignore and not let himself get drawn in, and if that does not work just block.

How do other parents handle instagram use?

Is it normal to be so much drama with 11 year old girls?

VivaLeBeaver Thu 09-Jan-14 12:38:17

Pre-teen girls are all about the drama. grin I think its what makes their world revolve.

I don't let dd on Instagram.

Good to know it is normal, in some strange sort of way.

But my ds does not understand girls at all, he has decided. He is perplexed.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 09-Jan-14 15:23:00

He's best of ignoring them, concentrate on Minecraft....much more fun!

Rosencrantz Thu 09-Jan-14 17:05:21

It's not Instagram. It's 11 year old girls. Instagram is just recording the conversation. You know they talk like that on the playground, don't you?

Will characterise the teen years. All you can do is teach your child how to handle himself when faced with 'drama'.

FriendlyLadybird Fri 10-Jan-14 11:34:27

Yep, my ds totally baffled by the way the girls talk between themselves. He's got a couple of close girl friends who, he reports, are pretty normal when with him, but turn into something toally different in a crowd.

Craggyhollow Sat 11-Jan-14 22:29:01

They don't have to do anything if they can't handle it

Just ignore?

Judging by my dds instagram the boys absolutely love it

So I would not 100 percent believe that he is totally innocent in this tbh

Craggyhollow Sat 11-Jan-14 22:30:00

Fwiw I've told dd to ignore boys until they are 15

They are often very dull until then

I keep well out off it.

Craggyhollow Sat 11-Jan-14 22:39:19

Yes agree
It's a bit wet to complain about the ribald way girls go on tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now