How to get through to dd because she does not seem to care.

(7 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Mon 11-Nov-13 19:21:55

DD is being a pita at the moment.
Today she was throwing a strop because it was a different dentist and she does not do change. (she is dyspraxic among other mild learning issues)
She was a pita diving round the dentist room.
Answering back and attitude.

She then got in the car and snapped at her grandfather because he was "annoying her". sad

Not to mention that her grandad had come to pick her up from school and took her to the dentist so she did not have to catch four buses or the fact that she had just been given a book and £20 for a trip by them.

I am just really fed up of it all.

moldingsunbeams Mon 11-Nov-13 19:22:41

I tell her off and she just sits there with a silly I don't give a crap look on her face.

Rosencrantz Tue 12-Nov-13 01:03:12

Shock her back.

Stun her into silence. 'Im annoying? Have you heard your pathetic winging? You're supposed to be nearly a teenager could have fooled me.'

Tough love and zero tolerance. If you threaten to punish, make sure you always go through with it. And parents don't undermine each other. United fronts are strongest here!

She'll be lovely before you know it, I promise. Puberty is a bitch. This is only temporary thanks

Rosencrantz Tue 12-Nov-13 01:04:31

Oh and in the situation you describe, money and book would have gone straight back to grandad, with no chance to win back.

trooperlooperdo Wed 13-Nov-13 08:09:41

money and book would have gone back to grandparent & I'd have kicked her out of the car, let her make her own way home

Tuhlulah Wed 13-Nov-13 14:42:17

First, an apology to the grandfather, and sorry but I too would have taken away the gifts. She may have a reason for behaving badly but she should still bear the consequences.

Puberty is indeed a bitch. My previously angelic DS can transform from smiling to snarling with rapid speed. This morning he reminded me of Regan in The Exorcist.

Apparently they do get better.

So be patient. Consistent, firm and fair. Remember at all times that you are the adult (note to self!).

Notmyidea Wed 13-Nov-13 19:58:41

I'm the first to complain about mine, and don't dispute that her behaviour was probably outrageous and embarrassing for you, but I get very stressed by dentists visits and I'd run a mile from an unfamiliar one. I can, I'm an adult. Does she really need a bit of TLC here?
If she has additional needs it would have been sensitive and appropriate of the surgery to warn you of the change so you could have done some groundwork with her.
Then tell her taking it out on grandad was very rude and yes, return the gifts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now