DD first period - advice needed!!

(13 Posts)
Popo40 Thu 07-Nov-13 10:42:12

My DD 12 started her first period last night. Can anyone give me any advice on the best sanitary towel for her to use.

We had bought the Always Ultra with wings in preparation but she leaked last night while she was in bed. I have to admit they do seem quite thin! (It could have meant that it wasn't quite in the right place)

The pill which I am on means that I haven't had periods for years so I have not bought any for a long time!!

Any advice gratefully received - thanks

Passthecake30 Thu 07-Nov-13 10:44:31

Did you use the super as they are longer and better in bed....were her knickers tight enough to hold it in place (could wear 2 pairs)... Other than that, maybe they are too wide and bunch, so maybe the teen type towels might be better

LackaDAISYcal Thu 07-Nov-13 10:44:49

Lilets do a range of towels and tampons especially for the teenage market, otherwise, any towel without wings would be a good start. I have always had leakage whenever using winged towels, so prefer ones without wings. I always preferred bodyform to always as well.

Artandco Thu 07-Nov-13 10:45:59

I think the lillets range are much better than always Nowdays. The packaging is also not plasticy If she doesn't want it noisy in toilets at school etc.

Popo40 Thu 07-Nov-13 10:47:02

Thanks Passthecake - good advice. Thinking about it - I don' think that her knickers were that tight so will try the two pairs!!

Popo40 Thu 07-Nov-13 10:53:48

Thanks everyone for the good advice - that's really helpful. I think that I will definitely get the without wings type and I will have another look at Tesco to see if they have the teen range in too

Madmog Thu 07-Nov-13 14:22:45

You've probably been out to buy some by now, but I've got my daughter some in readiness, the Lillets teen day and night already suggested above, and some larger ones if she needs them which are Lillets regular (in yellow) pack and Bodyform with and without wings. I've actually tried the Lillets regular out myself and found them as comfy as you can find a towel. As mentioned, if she is leaking at the front and back, you can buy super towels which are longer.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 07-Nov-13 18:13:52

Oh, and don't forget some chocolate and a microwave hottie or wheat bag!

Popo40 Thu 07-Nov-13 18:18:52

Thanks everyone - I've bought a selection from the suggestions so hopefully we will find one that suits.

The black forest gateau that managed to find its way into my basket should also help!! (Me and as well as DD)

Fridgeraider50 Thu 07-Nov-13 23:34:04

My dd likes the Asda teen range.

VenusDeWillendorf Wed 20-Nov-13 14:03:22

The teen like the range is for very light days ime.
The bigger squash ire towels might be best for now as she gets used to them. A red or dark towel under her is also an idea, to save the bed linen.

Or just go the tampon route. Or the mooncup!

I used tampons from the start, despite my wittering mothers fear for my virginal hymen. <rolls eyes>
No leaks, no whiffs, no problems.

VenusDeWillendorf Wed 20-Nov-13 14:03:55

like the? lilette!

VenusDeWillendorf Wed 20-Nov-13 14:05:08

Oh and congratulations to your dd.
Get her a lovely diary with the moon phases - always helps to know when you're on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now