Do super tall children always become super tall adults?

(43 Posts)
MrRected Fri 06-Sep-13 02:03:33

Ds1 was 61cms at birth. He has always been tall but now that he is 12 he really sticks out. He reached 6ft tall at 11y10m (184cms).

Can anybody tell me - from a physiological perspective if this means he is going to be a very tall adult? The calculators say he will be 200cms - I feel quite sad for him as this means he will always stand out like a sore thumb. People gape at him now and he hates it.

Or is there a chance he will be normal height?

Ponders Fri 06-Sep-13 12:20:41

I have anecdotal stuff too.

When I started secondary school I was shorter than average - less than 5' probably - & there were girls in my year who were already 5'5 - 5'7. But they never got any taller, while I shot up at 14 & ended up at 6' confused

DD1 was always tiny (10th centile) & grew very very slowly but is now 5'7; DD2 was 75th centile - she is 3 years younger than DD1 but was only slightly shorter throughout childhood. She is now 5'7 too grin

So very tall children might or might not end up very tall adults.

HTH wink

WhatHo Fri 06-Sep-13 12:22:45

DH has presence because of his height
mine too. People trust him and defer to him.

willyoulistentome Fri 06-Sep-13 12:37:32

I was very tall and skinny in primary school. The tallest. I'm 5'8 now, but I reckon I must have grown very quickly at one point as I have been this height since about the age 13 I was a 14 year old skinny beanpole with horizontal stretch marks up the outside of my skinny thighs. ( I'm not skinny now though. Quite the opposite! )

Mumzy Sun 08-Sep-13 18:06:04

I worked in an endocrinology clinic and the accepted wisdom for most children was you did the majority of your growing prior to puberty and once that happened: start of periods for girls, voice breaking for boys then you would only grow a bit more as hormonal changes during puberty causes the bones to fuse together. Also height in children is accelerated by obesity as is the start of puberty so some overweight children will be very tall for their age but won't be that tall in adulthood.

alpinemeadow Mon 09-Sep-13 09:27:21

That's interesting mumsy, I have heard that during puberty (ie from beginning to end) you do grow quite a bit - 10 " or so for a girl. Then as you say there is not much growth after that. But that you don't stop growing when puberty stage 1 begins (ie the lead up - 2 yrs or so? - to periods starting). Is that roughly the view your clinic took?

Maryz Mon 09-Sep-13 09:48:55

There seems to be some evidence that boys who grow early stop early. Those who have their growth spurts later grow for longer.

I've seen this with my boys. Ds1 was one of the tallest in his year at 12. Now at 19 he is 6'2' and many of the smaller ones have caught up and overtaken him. Ds2 was one of the smallest at 12, now at 15 he is overtaking and still growing.

With girls it seems to be more straightforward, and related to the height they were when they started periods.

Having said that, if he does get very tall direct him to a sport like rowing, where they will love him and he will be among guys who are proud to be tall.

Fairylea Mon 09-Sep-13 09:53:02

I was the tallest in my class, 5ft 6 at about 10 years old with size 6 feet. The only thing that's grown since then are my boobs!

PlotTwist Mon 09-Sep-13 10:04:39

dd1 was always one of the tallest in her class and ds always one of the shortest. Despite there being only two years between them, I've got pictures of them at 10 and 8 where dd looks a good five years older than her brother, she looks about 14 and he could pass for seven. Now they are both grown, he's 6'4 and she's almost a foot shorter.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 09-Sep-13 10:05:15

My brother was your son. The others caught up. Some overtook, most didn't. Of course we parents worry.

What I would just say is to watch his posture. I'm sure you do, but my bro used to compensate by slouching down, and he ended up with back and neck stiffness. Painful too sometimes at school. Wrong height furniture as assumed they would be smaller.

Salbertina Mon 09-Sep-13 10:11:06

My cousin is v nearly 2m. Never stared at as not so tall to stand out, honestly. Main pain for him is seating- plants, trains, cars.. Also hotel beds, low doorways etc. he copes though!

Your ds may well just be an early developer.

Mumzy Mon 09-Sep-13 22:33:18

Alpine that's right dcs will attain the majority of their height in the couple of years leading up to puberty then once puberty hits the hormonal balance changes causing the bones to literally fuse together and growth becomes very slow and eventually stops. Generally most girls will only grow a couple more inches once their periods start. The sleeping patterns of teenagers reflect those of babies in that they need more sleep due to the amount of energy needed to grow so letting your teenagers sleep in is no bad thing.

alpinemeadow Tue 10-Sep-13 08:22:19

Thanks Mumzy, so I suppose it depends what you mean by puberty (!) If hitting puberty is when periods start then most growth has occurred by then. But if hitting puberty is when the whole 'process' starts (on average 2 yrs before periods start?) then you grow quite a lot during puberty - about 10 - 12 " on average, so I've heard.
Definitely agree with you about sleep - they're not being lazy, just growing! It is amazing how much more they sleep in the holidays,

Mumzy Tue 10-Sep-13 22:56:14
PennieLane Tue 10-Sep-13 23:24:28

I was 5'11 at 13and am now 6ft. No one in my family is under 6ft, so I think it's a combo of your family plus height at young age.

Although my DD is currently tracking 9th centime!

alpinemeadow Wed 11-Sep-13 20:54:41

Thanks mumzy - that's really interesting. So if you include stage 1, a girl would grow by up to around 30 cm during puberty ie up to starting periods.
Interesting that boys are said to stop growing around 17 - i thought it was more like 19, though obviously after 17 it slows down.
I'd never really realised how strongly growth rates are linked to puberty, rather than chronological age. Always learning....

Mumzy Fri 13-Sep-13 19:44:46

It's the hormonal changes during puberty which accelerates and eventually slows down growth. It's also pretty interesting how bones fuse at the end of puberty and eventually stops growth also affects the body's suppleness hence why sports such as gymnastics is relative short lived

Well, dd1 was a long baby and a tall, skinny child and at 18 is now 5'10. We think she's still growing too!

MummyPig24 Mon 16-Sep-13 14:44:01

I was a tall child but I stopped growing at 11 and I am 5'3. My brother however was always a very tall child and is now 23 and 6'4.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now