So I can't win or even compromise with my 11 yo DS - strategies needed

(8 Posts)
grants1000 Tue 20-Aug-13 19:27:24

hmmangrysad He wants to watch WWE Summer Slam on Sky TV tonight at 9pm. It's £15 & I said he has to use his own £ to pay for it & he can watch it tomorrow as it goes on till 1am.

We had this same argument last night & he called me a bitch, so I told him I would not record it for him. And we are having the same argument tonight and the compromise of watching it tomorrow is not good enough, queue 45 men's of whining how horrible and unfair I am etc etc etc. I told him to stop, final warning, but he still goes on and on and on and won't stop. I would have had to leave the house so not to hear anymore but can't due to younger child.

How can I make him stop? Reach a compromise and stop him being so stubborn and categorical refusal to budge one inch. He won't listen and constantly interrupts me and talks over me. I chucked the sky remote near his feet to jolt him out of it. DH just got home and I have retreated upstairs as I am livid angryangryangryangryangry

grants1000 Tue 20-Aug-13 19:28:46

Am immersing myself in Bondi Rescue to stop the anger......

FoundAChopinLizt Tue 20-Aug-13 19:38:24

He called you a bitch?

There is no excuse for that, ever.angry

I would be unplugging all Sky, TVs, consoles, computers, confiscating phone, withdrawing pocket money for a long time, and expect some meaningful apology, coupled with plenty of effort around the house before any privileges were restored slowly, one by one.

Ifcatshadthumbs Tue 20-Aug-13 19:41:44

After the bitch comment there would be no compromise from me! I think not recording would be a perfectly suitable consequence on this occasion.

grants1000 Tue 20-Aug-13 19:42:05

It was under his breath and he apologised straight away and he wa in bed at 6.45 with no iPod, x box or anything, not even a book as a result.

onemoredayplease Tue 20-Aug-13 19:46:41

watchin with interest as I have a 10 yr old dd who is the same. she wears me down with constant whining until she gets whats she wants. she will even admit this to me. I just find the whining so draining- spoils any enjoyment in anything.

Don't give into the whining. Say what you need to, hold up your hand and say 'it is non negotiable' and go no further.

It's like not giving into a 2 year old tantrum. They soon realise that no amount of whining is going to make you change your mind!

CatsAndTheirPizza Tue 20-Aug-13 22:38:11

I'm not sure I'd be offering a compromise tomorrow if he called you a 'bitch' last night. The whining can send you up the wall though - I'd be with Madamecastafiore and say non negotiable I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now