What on earth was going through my DS3's mind???!

(32 Posts)
survivingthechildren Thu 08-Aug-13 11:47:08

DS3 is 11. Old enough to know better, basically.

Today he got in some sort of scrap with DS2(13) over who owned what possession. It got a bit ugly so they were both sent away to cool down, and the item was discovered to be DS2's (it was a bloody school bag of all things, but it was from DS1 and has all kinds of signatures and labels, and is therefore the height of cool). Now if only they could summon up this level of enthusiasm for other areas of their education

Later this evening, after coming home from the shops, I notice that someone has KEYED THEIR NAME ONTO THE HOOD OF THE CAR.

What. The. Fuck. Was. DS2. Thinking.

This was definitely the work of DS2, as the guilty look on his face told us as much when we confronted the DC. He was trying to make a point, that just because something has your name on it, doesn't mean it's actually yours.

And so he keyed his name into our car.

I am beyond furious. I cannot even fathom why he thought this was sensible, what on earth he was thinking?! Sometime he has such lack of understanding for consequences I despair.

Is anyone else's 11yo this immature? And what can I do about it?

Openyourheart Sun 18-Aug-13 17:32:50

OMG! I think I would have seriously lost my mind and possibly control if any of my DSs did that to my car.

If it makes you feel any better though, recently my 12 yr old was told that he couldn't play football in the garden as I had put grass seed down on a large bare patch on the lawn. I had told him a few times over the previous weeks that he couldn't play footie in the garden because it was ruining the lawn and because there had previously been an incident involving the neighbour's greenhouse (i.e., he had smashed a window with the ball).

He was so angry at constantly being told that he couldn't play football that he went into the garden shed, got various garden tools out and dug up the patch with the grass seed on it. He then got a hose to wash the seed away.

I went effing ballistic.

CatsAndTheirPizza Mon 19-Aug-13 22:33:05

Must be a DS3 'thing'. Our DS3 wrote his name on our car too - he's only 6 though, and it was with a stick, and not in anger (though it still scratched the car), but we were less than impressed. I think making him pay towards it is the way to go [your DS3, not ours - he only gets 60p a week, it would take a long time!).

Mintyy Mon 19-Aug-13 22:36:20

I'm sure your ds has no idea how much it costs to fix a scratched car bonnet. I couldn't begin to guess at it myself. It could be anything from £50 to £500 afaik; I imagine he has even less knowledge of such things than I do.

EduCated Sun 08-Sep-13 00:20:52

I know this is so not the point, but you've got to admire his reasoning in that writing your name on something doesn't make it yours and using the car as an example. Admittedly, the execution was a little flawed, a post-it note would have been better, but still...

EduCated Sun 08-Sep-13 00:21:22

Also just seen how old this thread is blush Is he forgiven yet?!

survivingthechildren Wed 11-Sep-13 11:11:35

haha didn't realise people were still reading this until I saw it pop up in the forum!

Yes, he's done his time and we've put it in the past. Had a good chat the next day when I'd- he'd calmed down. He wasn't to happy about the consequences (see prior post) but knew better than to complain!

Happily we managed to get friend of a friend to repair the car at a cheaper cost, which DS3 paid for. So all done and dusted I guess, but have to say that DS will be treading of thin ice with us for a few months yet!

EduCated Wed 11-Sep-13 17:38:38

Phew, glad it all got sorted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now