Terrible school report, worried about next year

(7 Posts)
Bigwuss Fri 12-Jul-13 20:00:33

DC (11) brought home their report with very very good grades, but terrible comments for behaviour.
Boastful, being rude, getting angry with teachers, answering back, immature, etc etc. some of this was new news, which I'm a bit surprised to find out at the end of the year.
once I've gotten over really being very annoyed with DC, what can I do help to make things better next year, new school, new teachers.

exoticfruits Sat 13-Jul-13 07:26:52

Your DC is a big fish in a small pond and probably outgrown the school. Year 7 is a shock- suddenly they are a very small fish.
I would have a talk about it. More a discussion- why was he/she doing it etc.

cory Sat 13-Jul-13 11:29:10

What exotic said. Junior school teachers always seem to spend the summer term sighing to themselves and muttering "those Yr 6; they really need to move up now". I think it's a combination of big fish in small pond, nervousness about the coming year and hormones.

Have a chat, make it clear that you are not happy, but also give him time to voice any worries he may have.

Bigwuss Sat 13-Jul-13 14:32:28

Thanks, I guess what is bothering me the most is the denial that any of it is ever his fault.

We've gone wrong somewhere

cory Sat 13-Jul-13 19:12:24

Wouldn't be too sure of that, Bigwuss. I found ds pretty ghastly at that age: not rude to teachers, but horribly negative, rude to us, trying to play us off against each other, lazy, ungrateful, a total misery. He is now 13 and a completely different person. I reckon it's a mixture of hormones and fear of growing up. Now he is quite clearly growing into a man he seems more relaxed about it.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 14-Jul-13 20:56:27

yy. Completely agree

Some year 6's at our school are pretty rude. Some of it is them out-growing the school, some of it's a big old cover-up for the anxiety I think they are feeling about the up-coming changes.

DS2 is going into year 6 next term and I see signs of the eye-rolling already ......

So I don't think you should worry. It's not nice to hear she's been difficult, at this stage, and I think that they should have raised it with you before if they genuinely thought it was a problem, because now you are left with the anxiety

Ocadododo Thu 25-Jul-13 10:26:03

I saw quite a lot of DS's Yr 6 getting quite bolshy, but I noticed that even the most troubled and attention seeking boy in his class seems to have calmed down in Yr 7. I think it is being top of the tree, and anxiety about senior school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now