Worried about my 11 year old friendships

(5 Posts)
alpinemeadow Tue 11-Jun-13 20:39:08

Hoppy, is she unhappy about the school friends thing, do you think, or do you think it is more that she is content to take things gradually? I can well believe it is the former, but just mention it in case she is actually quite calm about it.
I think some girls do take time to make friends at secondary school - there are those on mn who say that their dds didn't really make friends until yr 8. Not easy to watch as a dp, especially when others seem to team up immediately on day 2 (or 1)!
Meanwhile, definitely keep up with the out of school friends, as others have said.

Secondme Sun 09-Jun-13 18:00:39

Definitely keep out of school friendships very active. One of Dds best friend is out of school and when she falls out with in school friends, she can rely on her best friend. It is a difficult age for girls.

CambridgeBlue Tue 04-Jun-13 14:42:20

I don't know but I'm in the same boat. DD has drifted away from a lot of her friends, they all seem to be growing up faster than she is. It seems to be a difficult age for girls - sorry to hear you're having problems too sad.

TeenAndTween Tue 04-Jun-13 14:39:53

No advice really, but my DD was the same, no consistent solid friendships in y7 or y8, but now y9 we hear the same names consistently.

Continue to encourage out of school friendships, and also in-school clubs that may help her 'find' like minded friends?

hoppy01 Tue 04-Jun-13 14:08:42

My daughter is now at secondary school and although she has settled in well and is doing well academically I am worried about her lack of a good friend. She has a few close friends out of school but seems to struggle to maintain friendships at school. How do I broach with her that I am worried and that I know that she has been unhappy about this issue?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now