Getting DD (10) out of bed in the morning!

(13 Posts)
Ledkr Mon 22-Apr-13 12:24:56

Suddenly my dd started to get up early and sort herself out really early.
It turns out it was from watching "morning routines" on you tube.
At one point we had to nick her sleep as she was setting it for about 5.45
It's got to be worth a try.

My Ds is crap at getting out of bed, and would crawl out at 8.30 if he could. By 7.30 most mornings I will have woken him twice, called to him several times so I go for the brutal option- nick duvet, and send the dog in to kiss him. He complains, but it works :D

impty Mon 22-Apr-13 12:10:08

You can get alarm clocks with a vibrating pad which goes under the pillow. I use it for my dd who has a hearing loss. It also has bright lights and is very loud, but she has it set on vibrate only.
Google alarm clocks for the deaf.
However dd2 is hearing but rubbish at getting out if bed too, I have no answer to that partsmile

Handywoman Mon 22-Apr-13 12:03:56

My 10yo I also a nightmare, I dread to think what she'll be like when she's an actual teenager. I now make her a cup of tea in the morning. Seems to bring her round a bit!

MillyMoo1113 Fri 19-Apr-13 21:30:37

And you can tell its been a long week as ds is actually 11 now, not 10....

MillyMoo1113 Fri 19-Apr-13 21:11:48

Ds(10) takes a long time to wake up properly in a morning. His alarm goes off at half six, which he turns off and ignores, but I get up at quarter past 6 so I just keep knocking on his door/ calling from my room/shouting upstairs whilst getting ready and do so every few minutes til he eventually surfaces downstairs just after seven, to leave at quarter past.

But I don't need him to have breakfast before we leave as my dad sorts that so I can be in my classroom for 7:45.

Its not really a helpful suggestion in afraid but I just have to keep lightly nagging at him til he surfaces in a morning.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Fri 19-Apr-13 20:44:10

You're either a lark or an owl. Ds and I is an owl. I have to be patient because I'm also half asleep I know how it feels. grin

Euphemia Fri 19-Apr-13 20:41:08

We're trying to get her to be responsible for herself. She's also a total grump in the mornings. Not like her mother oh no of course I'm a proper Mary Poppins at 7am. Not.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Fri 19-Apr-13 20:37:30

I've learned that this is the best way for minimum fuss and agro wink

Takver Fri 19-Apr-13 20:35:25

You sound nicer than me, LadyMary!

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Fri 19-Apr-13 20:34:11

Take her a warm drink and put her clothes on her bed. You need to hover around so you know she's getting up, keep talking to her.

Takver Fri 19-Apr-13 20:32:53

Earlier bed-time?

Seriously, if dd starts to struggle with waking in the morning, a week of early bed-times generally sorts things out. It also adds a certain impetus to her enthusiasm for figuring out a solution grin

Euphemia Fri 19-Apr-13 20:30:32

She currently has two alarms set, and still goes back to sleep!

We've thought of having the alarm on the other side of the room so she has to get up to switch it off, but she sleeps so soundly she'd never hear it! She also has hearing loss in both ears.

Any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now