10 nearly 11 yo DS - temper & moods

(80 Posts)
grants1000 Thu 24-Jan-13 19:20:56

He flies off the handle at the slightest thing, in fact a bit like a toddler, he won't listen, he takes ages to calm down, he freaks basically. I am on here now as he is flipping his lid about getting ready for Scouts as he does not want to go as he's now had enough time on his X-Box, which we agree he can go on after homework and tea. I did not get any Cheerios either today as I for got and freak central, shouting, slamming doors. You can't reason, talk or do anything with him. Everything is so unfair/not correct etc etc When he is punished eg:P taking away x-box or ipod he will go on and and on about it, won't shut up about it, keeps on pecking in me and DH, I had to leave the house on Sunday as I was going to go insane.

What is this? The beginning of puberty? What can we do?

Startail Tue 29-Jan-13 00:24:33

Should say DD1, DD2 is 11.

Big girl is insanely easy, was born with sense beneath her sometimes very dizzy dyslexic exterior. She got given freedom without really noticing because I knew she wouldn't panic if it actually mattered.

DD2 is outwardly far more the normal proto teen and actually less secure, much more reliant on friends and way more likely to get in a tizz.

bubbles1231 Tue 29-Jan-13 00:35:48

Another one going through the same here with DS1 aged 11. Crying for no reason then angry, needing lots of hugs etc etc. Wants to be grown up yet still needing loads of reassurance.

We had a right evening of it yesterday. It started around 8pm when we asked him to have a shower. His defiance was bewildering. sad It went on for the next hour with him pushing DH's buttons. At 9pm he wanted to watch Miranda, cue huge explosion when we said no. He was so cross. sad

DollyTwat Tue 29-Jan-13 08:21:35

It's baffling isn't it Sparkling. They'll spend longer arguing the toss about doing something that's essential, that it would have been quicker and less stress to just do it. Then spend ages arguing something where the answer has already been no
The endless argument about playing 15 games sends me insane

YY Dolly he could have had ten showers in the time it took him to have a strop about not having one. hmm

Plus he wouldn't get up this morning-that's become a daily battle. He had set his alarm for 5am (no idea why) so that woke me and DH up so this morning got off to a rubbish start.

Where's the fun gone? sad

CremeEggThief Tue 29-Jan-13 09:54:28

Just to add I'm glad I'm not alone, although in fairness, my ten year old DS has always been capable of behaving like a teenager grin.

He's being absolutely lovely at the moment, so I'm cherishing it while it lasts!

My goodness though, I feel like a toddler after some of the arguments we've had. Taking so long to do everything and repeating everything over and over again are real flashpoints for us. I guess identifying these is the first step.

Well DS2 has started early tonight. Kicking a ball around the living room. Got told to stop it. Carried on kicking ball round the living room. Ball confiscated, huge explosion. Nice start to the evening.

CremeEggThief Tue 29-Jan-13 17:25:05

sad. Why do they do it?

I really don't know Creme. Why would he be kicking the ball round the living room other than to wind me and DH up? He is a fairly bright boy as well. sad

CremeEggThief Tue 29-Jan-13 17:43:02

Well, mine is tantruming in his room now, as there are no working black felt tips, he's not allowed any more of the printer paper, he has to wait until Friday to buy himself these things, there are no batteries for his Lego and he doesn't want to go to Cubs, even though he's bored at home! Phew!

Ooh Creme that all sounds tiresome and annoying. sad DS2 has now found a balloon and is kicking that about. He did shut himself in the understairs cupboard and do some shouting for a bit, but came out due to being ignored. hmm

CremeEggThief Tue 29-Jan-13 18:10:49

Sparkling, I feel too poorly tonight to even care! He's having his tea and off to Cubs in a minute anyway and it'll be bed when he gets back smile.

Hope that balloon bursts soon and there's nothing else left to kick! grin

I have to mention the 'Homework' word yet. Yikes!

Hope you feel better soon. x

CremeEggThief Tue 29-Jan-13 18:16:53

Yikes indeed!

Thank you. Me too! X

footballsgalore Tue 29-Jan-13 19:30:49

Well we have had our nightly strop about more minecraft time. It has been an hour a night on school nights (as long as homework is done) for about a month. But apparently that is sooo unfair tonight and i don't ever let him do anything.

Creme i also feel ill so am leaving it to DH while i hide under a pillow. smile

CremeEggThief Tue 29-Jan-13 19:52:41

Ah yes! The dreaded "Minecraft"! Surprised it's only being brought up now.

Minecraft. sad The most baffling game ever.

We also have the Diablo craze to contend with. This involves practicing in the living room and the Diablo flying about in the direction of the TV/DS1/laptops. angry They all have them in the school playground. hmm

DollyTwat Tue 29-Jan-13 20:46:17

Ah yes Minecraft!

It's getting them off it that causes uproar here
I've now put parental controls on the PC so it shuts down at 8pm
I don't have to say anything grin

footballsgalore Tue 29-Jan-13 21:40:24

What? It shuts itself down? I need that function for the xbox. Even DS can't pick an argument with a machine!

I don't mind minecraft as a game. At least it requires a little brain power and seeing as ALL his friends are allowed to play COD(according to DS that is) i think we could be having a whole different argument!

bubbles1231 Tue 29-Jan-13 22:22:43

I think we all live in the same house!!! You are taking the words right out of my mouth.

bubbles1231 Tue 29-Jan-13 22:26:30

Quote of the evening "You have no idea how bad my life is" from ds1 because I made him get out of bed tonight to tidy away the art stuff he was doing for homework, and had been asked several times during the evening to clear up.
Another famous qoute is " You're just here to make my life hell"

Hahahaha bubbles it's awful isn't it? DS2's favourite phrase is 'in a sec'. Infuriating. angry

footballsgalore Tue 29-Jan-13 22:35:23

Along with 'you never let me...(insert latest request that has never been mentioned before)'

stargirl1701 Tue 29-Jan-13 22:37:26

Have you tried 'Raising Boys' by Steve Biddulph?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now