How much pocket money do you give?

(43 Posts)
CeliaFate Wed 13-Jun-12 09:01:13

How much do you give your pre-teen? My nearly 12 year old gets £10 on the first of the month to last the month.

With that she can buy what she likes.

I know it's not much but I pay for clothes, cinema trips, toiletries etc. so all she has to buy out of that is whatever takes her fancy.

If she's going shopping with a friend I give her £10 on top.

Trouble is, it's not teaching her to budget. She is like me blush - if she has the money in her purse she'll spend it. I give her £3 a day for school dinners, but I have to give it daily as she hates having £15 in her purse in case she overspends.

What would you do?

Bellbird Tue 26-Jun-12 12:57:09

Having an account means that elderly relatives can give my dd cheques which makes their lives easier and her a free reign in what to get.

SophiaWinters Thu 28-Jun-12 20:42:16

Both my children (daughter 11 and son 13) get £2 per week each by direct debit into their bank account. Birthday and Christmas money they put into their bank accounts too. Son is a very good saver, daughter is less so but give her credit she does save up between spending sprees. Their pocket money is really for them to spend on whatever they want over and above the basics which we buy for them. I pay for their phones as well but they use them very little. A £10 top up will last son about 6 months, daughter about 3 months.

moomoo1967 Fri 06-Jul-12 13:46:15

my DD age nearly 13 gets £5 per week, paid a month in arrears for which she has certain chores to do each week. If she wants to earn extra she then does extra chores.
This gets paid straight into her bank account which has a debit card. I buy any essential clothes for school or otherwise, toiletries etc and she pays for trips to the cinema, swimmings and meals out with her friends.
Her and her friend went out to dinner the other week, and they did research first to find the best Early bird prices smile
I quite like the idea of giving her money for toiletries etc to teach her to be even more independant.
Occasionally she does some babysitting for my next door neighbour and gets paid which she loves.

Hullygully Fri 06-Jul-12 13:48:53

mine get £80 per month in bank accts aged 13 and 15. That has to pay for everything (excpet phones) and be saved for stuff. We've just started this so we'll see how it goes.

Hulababy Fri 06-Jul-12 13:52:43

DD is 10y. She started with £1 a week at age 5 and it goes up by 50p on each birthday. She now gets £3.50 a week. She sometimes gets the odd bit of money from grandparents too. She saved it for bigger items. She currently had £76 saved and is hoping to get herself a Kindle before we go on holiday at the end of the month.

Hullygully Fri 06-Jul-12 13:56:21

oh just noiticed it's preteens.

soz

Hulababy Fri 06-Jul-12 13:58:55

DD has her own bank account and has done since birth, but has no real access to that. We put a small amount a month in that but it is pretty nominal tbh. Birthday and Christmas money gets spent as it is received, this is what we recommend for her as in our case the money she is sent by people (not much tbh as most get gifts) is for something now and sent instead of a physical gift due to distance posted or whatever. Most of the real savings for DD's future are done in other ways through our own saving account systems.

Ragwort Fri 06-Jul-12 14:02:21

My 11 year old gets £1.50 a week, he doesn't really spend it grin and has saved up loads over the years. He doesn't really go anyway to spend it to be honest, we live quite a rural way of life grin and he is very health conscious so won't buy sweets etc. He gets toileteries for birthday and Christmas and seems to make them last all year !

He doesn't have a phone or anything else technological !

Mine gets £20 per month. She is expected to keep her PAYG mobile topped up so she and I can contact each other if needed, purchase her own sanitary products and buy supplies for her hamster. The rest is hers to do with as she pleases. If and when she makes mistakes and runs out of money we give her chores to earn extra.

Pommymumof3 Sat 21-Jul-12 07:29:44

I give my 10 year old $10 (Aus) cash per week.... It burns a hole in his pocket and is gone on that very first day!angry

bigTillyMint Sat 21-Jul-12 07:45:14

My DD(13) is getting £20 a month, DS(11) £3 a week. This is supposed to cover any activities they choose to do with their friends/odd bits of clothing/jewellery/sweets, etc. I top-up their PAYG mobiles.

However, we pay (a lot!) for their sports clubs and related clothing, trips, etc. And I give them the money and card for friends birthdays (also mounts up!)

They are pretty good with their money and tend to save at least some of their birthday/Christmas money.

MattDamonIsMyLover Sun 29-Jul-12 08:30:31

DS (12) gets £5 every Saturday. DD1 (7) gets £3. I invite them to do chores fir extra money, they aren't interested. The money tends to get spent on the same day on sweets, comics, Moshi Monsters.

I didn't know about bank accounts with cards for children do young. Can you deposit just the odd £10 in cash? Or do you keep the cash ANC transfer the money between your account and theirs?

DontEatTheVolesKids Wed 01-Aug-12 17:10:50

Double their age every 2 months. No strings but I can dock it for misbehaviour. They can earn extra by doing chores (they rarely bother).

I pay for phones & clubs, most entertainment type things.

My 8yo just got own bank account but my preteens aren't bothered. Bank seemed surprised that we would bother for any child!

MattDamonIsMyLover Wed 01-Aug-12 18:39:39

Well, thanks to this thread DS has just started to open his first ever bank account. He's incredibly happy and will be watching for the postman over the next few days smile I doubt he'll have enough to deposit into his account after the initial £10.

BellaVita Wed 01-Aug-12 18:49:59

DS1 (15) gets £40 a month and DS2 (nearly 13) gets £24 per month. They only have to pay for phone top ups. I buy all clothes and toiletries. The can earn extra for doing jobs that are not on their rota. DS2 usually does the extra jobs though (DS1 would rather sit in his bedroom).

BellaVita Wed 01-Aug-12 18:51:31

Oh and both of mine have debit cards.

threeofthebest Mon 15-Oct-12 21:55:36

DD1 (aged 11) gets £12.50 per month payed into a bank account (she has a cash card) but it is dependent on her keeping her side of our 'contract' (bedroom tidying, homework completing, music practicing, table laying, dishwasher stacking etc)
She can spend it as she pleases but has to pay 1/3 of all family birthday/ xmas presents and cards that she wants to buy and 1/2 of friends presents and cards. I pay for clothes/ school equipment/ sports equipment etc that I feel is needed, and she has to save up and pay for anything else.
She seems to have quite a healthy bank account!, but she does have to do a bit of budgetting (and not just think of what SHE wants) because of the present thing. It seems to work quite well, but we will see whether she has a little more understanding of the value of money when Christmas comes and she has to fork out for some presents herself! smile

NinaAlexandra Fri 19-Oct-12 13:12:54

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now