Montessori Blackheath SE3

(14 Posts)
rainforest Mon 18-May-09 21:51:49

Does anyone have experience of this nursery?
Many thanks.

nevergoogledragonbutter Mon 18-May-09 21:53:23

i have experience of a montessori nursery, but not that one.
any use to you?

rainforest Mon 18-May-09 21:59:52

Thanks.
There is a very long waiting list for this nursery and I have to pay £50 to secure a place which is non-refundable for my dc in 2 1/2 years time!!
Can you tell me a little about the potential benefits of this education system over state nursery?

nevergoogledragonbutter Mon 18-May-09 22:08:44

our montessori nursery accepted government vouchers for childcare so didn't cost us much at all.
the benefits for us:
the nursery were very good at helping DS1 learn in ways that he liked and that kept him interested. he was allowed to do an activity for as long as he wanted without interruption. they seemed to really know him much more than his current nursery who seem to have all the children doing the same thing at once regardless of what each of them would actually like to be doing.
i liked that the activities were all educational but without the children realising, and there's also a big focus on real life activities. DS1's favourites were hole punching, stapling, grinding coffee beans, gardening and doing the dishes after lunch!
there's lots more to it than i can explain, and we unfortunately had to take him out of it when i couldn't use the car to get him there.
there seems to much less sense of community at his new nursery, he doesn't know all the children etc.

nevergoogledragonbutter Mon 18-May-09 22:10:14

sorry, crap explanation.

our experience was good but obviously it depends on the individual nursery as they all vary, even the montessori ones.

rainforest Mon 18-May-09 23:35:57

Many thanks 'never'

serenity Mon 18-May-09 23:48:51

I went there 36 years ago, but I'd imagine that's not what you're after grin

(bumped the thread for you anyway)

rainforest Tue 19-May-09 12:11:07

well its good to know its been there for a while!

gladders Tue 19-May-09 12:56:10

am in blackheath

dont have personal experience of this one as there is a nursery attached to ds's school where he goes. BUT our neighbours have sent bothe their children there (before all saints) and are delighted with it.

FWIW, mine both went to just two's in mycenae house which is like an old fashioned playschool (not a day nursrey). ds also went to first steps for a term but i wasn't so keen on that. any others you're considering?

rainforest Tue 19-May-09 13:03:24

thanks gladders.
I don't know of any other nurseries in the blackheth village area except the Montessori. I will need some kind of nursery/ playschool for when I go back to work in 2 years time. I'm just worried as the Montessori already has a 2 year waiting list and to secure a place for 2011 I will have to act now!!! shock

gladders Tue 19-May-09 15:57:43

I know for a fact that my neighbours children were not on the waiting list for 2 years - am sure it will be fine - people probably have names on a few lists?

If you're after a nursery school to use as daycare, then this is probably your best bet? All the others that are in and around Blackheath are generally day nurseries that start at age 6 mnths and offer 8-6 or playschools which are for 2-5 or 3-5 year olds but aren't open for the full day - which would be no good t you?

There is another montessori just off dacre park - have you looked into that one?

rainforest Wed 20-May-09 00:36:07

no I haven't. I will check it out. Thanks again for the 'inside' knowledge!

TKW Sun 27-Jun-10 12:33:18

Message withdrawn

Clare123 Sun 04-Jul-10 22:11:24

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now