Blackheath nursery and prep - a couple of questions

(7 Posts)
MrsFogi Thu 21-Feb-08 10:39:11

I'd love dd to go here but am starting to hear about people "training" their children for the entrance test. Can anyone tell me what sort of thing the entrance test covers and also if they too have heard about "training" for the test and what sort of thing people are doing to get their children in? I'm trying to work out if I need plan b as I'm not convinced I want to "train" dd at such a young age.

legalalien Thu 21-Feb-08 10:51:11

Hi MrsF - I have no personal experience of this but I do know someone who has - she had also heard about the "training" thing but, like you (and me for that matter) was not prepared to go to such lengths - her DS got in fine without training. I gather that they ask children to count and see whether they can recognise the letters in their name, among other things. Her DSs love it there, so I wouldn't rule it out for that reason - but you might want to make plan B in any case, as I understand that it's quite oversubscribed.

MrsFogi Fri 22-Feb-08 20:21:30

Thanks legalalien, I'm beginning to wonder if the preparation thing is a bit of an urban myth.

samnav Thu 21-Apr-11 14:27:56

MrsFogi, I know your last post is about 3 years old now, but did your dd get in? My ds will be assessed some time this year and I am already quite nervous about what they will ask him!!

mtap Fri 06-May-11 10:20:45

Samnav has your dd done the assessment? How did it go? We have our one in Oct.

chuggies Sat 26-Jan-13 20:55:33

Has anybody got any idea what the Blackheath Prep nursery assessment is all about? My dd will be assessed in mid-March, I'm hoping she'll be assessed on Peppa Pig as she knows a lot about that but I'm guessing it won't be wink Anyone have any experience?

hatsybatsy Sat 09-Feb-13 15:28:22

hi chuggies - am ignoring all the older posts as they date from over 2 years ago!!

it's done one to one (so a Nursery/Reception teacher works with your child) - and they cover about ten little tasks. Ours included:-

- looking at a story book together and answering simple questions about what is happening
- drawing a picture of Mummy and explaining what they are drawing
- looking at some pictures and picking which one is the odd one out and why
- doing a jigsaw puzzle
- identifying some letters and numbers (neither of mine could do that!)

They are just looking for kids who are willing to have a go and who listen to any guidance and suggestions the teacher gives.

Best of luck - it's a great school!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now