DD wants to learn to read but I don't know how to teach her

(11 Posts)
Natsku Tue 08-Nov-16 10:26:44

She's 5 (nearly 6) but we live abroad and she won't be starting school until she's 7 (and a half) and she is begging me to teach her how to read. We have the Chip, Biff, and Kipper books, Songbirds phonics books, but phonics still rather baffles me. Also want to make sure she doesn't get turned off learning so how to keep a good balance - would working in ten minute chunks be a good idea?

mrz Sun 13-Nov-16 08:04:22

If you have an iPad I'd recommend the Sounds Write app (and put the Biff Chip books away for now)

mrz Sun 13-Nov-16 08:07:16

http://www.sounds-write.co.uk/apps.aspx first units are free

originalmavis Sun 13-Nov-16 08:08:16

Jolly Phonics have loads of resources - including dvds - that are good to help little ones read. When and how do kids usually learn where you are?

Friendinneed2016 Sun 13-Nov-16 08:12:16

Start by teaching her all the letter sounds (Google phase one phonics, then phase 2 etc). Then teach her maybe 5 sight words such as 'the' 'go' etc. Then she can start reading simple books.

Move through the phonics phases gradually as her reading improves.

Some sounds like ee, ch, th etc always have the same sound so these are picked up quickly too.

Badders123 Sun 13-Nov-16 08:18:13

Phonics is pretty easy really
First sounds are satpin
Start with those
I like jolly phonics
Hairy letter is a great app for teaching letter formation

itlypocerka Sun 13-Nov-16 08:48:51

Watching "alphablocks" perhaps?

mrz Sun 13-Nov-16 09:03:16

"Some sounds like ee, ch, th etc always have the same sound" I'm afraid not and that's a problem with many programs

Ch can represent the sound /ch/ in chip the sound /k/ in Christmas or the sound /sh/ in chef etc
Th - that, this,them or feather, thin, teeth etc

Same spelling different sounds

Badders123 Sun 13-Nov-16 10:24:52

Oh yes!
Alphablocks!
Ds2 started pre school at 3 knowing all his letter sounds thanks to alphablocks!

5tardusty Sun 13-Nov-16 10:26:56

I would suggest just reading to and with her, helping her start to recognise how the letters relate to the sounds. Her enthusiasm and enjoyment will be very helpful.

mrz Sun 13-Nov-16 11:14:11

The osmosis method works for the fortunate few but most children benefit from explicit teaching.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now