Should my 3 year old be able to write her name?

(11 Posts)
user1473191456 Thu 08-Sep-16 09:23:31

Hi all!

Reasonably new here - just wondering, my daughter starts pre school next week, (she was 3 in April) - is she supposed to be able to write her name at this stage? She's my eldest, and was just reading info on Internet about them heading off to school, and read she should be able to recognise and write her name! Now feel terrible that she's behind before she's even started!

Thank you! X

Bumpmadethemjump Thu 08-Sep-16 09:25:29

No she shouldn't need to write her name! All she needs to do is to be able to go to the toilet when she needs to go. It helps if she can recognize her name but they'll help her learn to recognize it if not. smile

20yrsago Thu 08-Sep-16 09:26:13

recognition is all they need!

Wait4nothing Thu 08-Sep-16 09:26:31

Not at all - all children are different and most cannot write their own names! Is she beginning to recognise it or part of it (first letter) if not if make that a focus for the next few months (as a game) maybe get a label for her room, (you) write it under her pictures ect so she becomes more familiar with it. It is something they will also focus on in preschool (but will not expect it to be known when she starts!)

Wait4nothing Thu 08-Sep-16 09:27:39

Wanted to add most 3 year olds can not write their names - post didn't read correctly!

MrsBellefleur Thu 08-Sep-16 09:29:46

No, my dd turned 3 at the end of March and started nursery in April. They ask the children to write their name on a strip of paper then stick it to their name on the wall.

Dd either scribbles or draws lines whilst saying random letters then we go over and I help her find her name so she can stick her label on.

dementedpixie Thu 08-Sep-16 09:29:50

Pre school is not school so no she will not be expected to write her name

MrsBellefleur Thu 08-Sep-16 09:30:29

Oh I meant to say that her approach is totally normal and all nursery expects!

LittleBearPad Thu 08-Sep-16 09:31:46

No.

She won't be expected to write her name on starting reception either.

insancerre Sat 10-Sep-16 10:16:20

There should be no expectations on a child entering preschool whatsoever
I manage a nursery and most 3 year olds can't write their name, though most can recognise it or at least the first letter

MiaowTheCat Wed 19-Oct-16 18:51:16

Well mine decided to aim high the other day and insisted she was writing her sister's full name somewhere she damn well shouldn't have been writing it to try to get her sister into bother!

She can't write it though - can recognise it and if she "writes" it there are a few of the letters recognisable in there and staff at her nursery could probably tell it was her having a go at it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now