August baby

(5 Posts)
Muddlingthroughtoo Fri 27-May-16 16:56:22

My son is the youngest in his class and at reception age it really shows. I'm thinking about getting him a bit of extra help by way of a tutor. I'm not a pushy parent but I just don't want him to lag behind. Is this a bit extreme, should I just leave the school to pull him along?

DizzeeBorg Wed 08-Jun-16 09:33:16

I wouldn't worry too much academically, the foundation stage is largely play based. I would focus upon emotional readiness and independence skills. Read books about starting school, independently dressing, independent toilet trips, using knives/forks/open cups, etc.

I'm grateful my son is very similar to your son's age, but born 13th September. I'm sure he would be fine beginning school this year, but I think next September he really will be ready. Don't forget, you have the option to delay his start too, or send him part time if that is what you feel is best for him.

uhoh1973 Fri 10-Jun-16 13:37:30

I agree with DizzeeBorg. I wouldn't worry about the academic stuff, there will be a whole range of ages in the class. Just make sure he is as socially ready as possible and can go to the bathroom etc on his own. The school should take care of the rest.

arista Mon 13-Jun-16 21:12:47

I wouldn't worry mine was born end of August although older ones in the class acted more maturely and still does but learningwise has never been behind has and still above average after 5 years. So I wouldn't worry. You will be surprised as how well they cope once at school.

carben Mon 01-Aug-16 12:41:28

I think sometimes the younger the child the more they get pulled along academically. I have twins born the end of August - 5 weeks early. Left primary at 10 last year both with Level 6 in Maths. One of them also got Level 6 in SPaG and writing. No one got it for English ! You would never have predicted this after a year in Reception. Everything started to come together in Yr 2 and they just continued to improve and move up the tables from there. Things still going ok in Secondary.....fingers crossed ! Yr 7 done and not 12 yet !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now