No preschool places for my 3.4 year old

(11 Posts)
Kittikatlove76 Sun 17-Apr-16 19:43:30

Finding it really, really hard to find my daughter a pre-school place for her 15 hours. Even though I've specified ANY session, ANY day.
2 places asked for deposits to just be put on their waiting list (£30 and £50). One nursery has no room until Sept 2017 We're on the waiting list at 4 other nursery's/pre-schools.
I know she'll be going to Nursery at a school this Sept, but I'm desperate for her to go for a few sessions a week until then.
Anyone else finding it really hard to find their child a place?

OnwardsAndUpwardsYo Sun 17-Apr-16 19:45:05

I can't comment on the difficulty you're facing finding a place. I wanted to comment because I too had to pay deposits for places for my children when they started preschool, I think that must be becoming the norm?

NickNacks Sun 17-Apr-16 19:51:18

What about a childminder?

mouldycheesefan Sun 17-Apr-16 19:56:28

Try primary schools that have pre schools.
Yes it's tricky to get places I was on wait list when pg! But that was for a nursery place from 15 months but lots of people do register early.

Jemappelle Sun 17-Apr-16 19:58:18

The op isn't looking for any which form of childcare but a pre school. A CM wouldn't be the same as pre school/nursery, which is why my 6 month of is going to a CM instead of the hustle hustle of a nursery.

At 2.5/3 years however I will just definitely be looking for a pre school or nursery a few times a week.

SocksRock Sun 17-Apr-16 20:01:47

The problem with looking for a place for the summer term is that preschools tend to fill up over the year as children turn 3. Our village preschool is usually half empty in September and full to bursting for the summer term. Could you phone around local childminders as some of them will take the 15 hours funding and might have a few slots to fill.

dementedpixie Sun 17-Apr-16 20:27:46

We had to apply for our nursery place just after Dd/ds turned 2. They then got allocated a space from the term after they were 3. Have you only started looking for a space now?

RueDeWakening Sun 17-Apr-16 20:31:08

It's very hard. My 2 year old qualified for the 15 hours from age 2, last September. But there are no nursery/preschool places round here with space for him, and no childminders who offer the 15 hours with places. So we can't take them up.

Ho hum. I hope he'll have a space in September (at 3.4), but nothing is confirmed yet.

OddBoots Sun 17-Apr-16 20:36:10

I'm sorry you are finding it impossible to find a place. Unfortunately many nurseries are having to limit the number of funded children they take on because the funding doesn't cover the cost. Not only are there children entitled to funding that can't get a space but children that are paid for by their parents are paying a higher rate in many cases as this is what subsidises the funded places that are being made available. There are campaigns about this including the 'Champagne nurseries, lemonade funding' campaign.

Kittikatlove76 Sun 17-Apr-16 22:10:50

Thanks Oddboots that explains A LOT. Always comes down to £££

strawberrybubblegum Mon 18-Apr-16 07:12:04

You might have more luck finding a sessional nursery - ie one which only does short sessions rather than full days.

Around us, several of the schools have links with private preschools which do their wrap-around care, and they often have spaces. Effectively, your child takes the slot while another child is at school/school nursery. I'd ask all the primary schools near you who does their wrap-around, and then call each of those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now