Why do preschools have uniform? And have you found truly non-iron school trousers?

(18 Posts)
rainbowontheway Thu 10-Mar-16 10:41:36

DS started pre-school (school nursery in these parts) recently. He's 3.5. He goes 2.5hrs a day, 5 days a week. I am loathing the fact that he has to wear uniform, especially the school trousers bit. I hate ironing and avoid it at all costs aside from DH's work shirts which he does himself usually and any special occasion wear that needs a press.
I bought DS school trousers from a well known supermarket. They have a perma crease down the front of each leg but even though I hang them up straight out of the washing machine, they still need ironing - gah! The only other type I've seen have cargo pockets with flaps that would need ironing in addition to the leg crease...! Has anyone found any truly non-iron boys school trousers please? And does anyone else agree with me that uniform for a pre-school is overkill?! All the school nurseries stipulate it around here sadly.

rainbowontheway Sun 13-Mar-16 12:28:36

Bump!

AuntieStella Sun 13-Mar-16 12:35:10

Back in the days when mine were that age, the uniform was a sort of smock/tabard thing and was extremely practical.

I didn't have to buy uniform trousers that small, but always found Asda ones to be fine.

mamapants Sun 13-Mar-16 12:37:25

I dress my little one in black joggers with the school jumper most of the time as easiest for toilet. But I also got some proper school trousers in age 2-3 from next, I've never ironed them and they always look good I dry them on a clothes horse

MumOfTheMoment Sun 13-Mar-16 12:49:57

I have never ironed a pair of school trousers and my ds is 9! Had them from M&S, Asda, Next and Tesco. Oh and Morrisons.

I actually liked them having preschool uniform. It means their proper clothes don't get ruined.

NotCitrus Sun 13-Mar-16 13:03:03

Because half the preschoolers are younger siblings desperate to act like their big brothers and sisters and beg for uniform!

With kids that age, there's no such thing as "needs ironing" - if you prefer the look of flatter trousers fine, but don't claim you're doing it out of necessity!

Dd is in Sainsburys trousers and they wash well and don't look too bad. The school moved to Tesco sweatshirts and polos though, and ditched them after 9 months as the quality was so poor, whereas ds's ones still look fine after nearly 3 years.

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 22-Mar-16 09:00:17

There's no uniform in my DS's preschool. It's a private nursery and preschool attached to a primary school (which does have a uniform). The only preschool I know that has a uniform is one attached to a private school in town.

I couldn't be doing with all that ironing either!

Inkymess Thu 24-Mar-16 07:24:16

All our local school nurseries have uniform , but not strictly enforced - their day involves a lot of muck, mud, glue, glitter, paint, glue, toilet accidents etc. Most siblings wear very old battered hand me downs as mine did. Stained tshirts were fine as they are going to get more stains on them. Cheap school trousers are great - wash and hang up by legs and totally no need to iron. They can have logo sweatshirts or non logo supermarket ones. Cheap Uniform saves good clothes getting ruined.
I have witnessed parents having a real go at teachers about paint or pen on little Johnnie's expensive coat/non uniform top before. I have stood shocked as a parent demanded the teacher paid for a replacement.
Our school ended up asking all to use uniform and recommended it was cheap versions as a result....
No one would expect you to iron a nursery child's trousers...don't bother

G1raffe Thu 24-Mar-16 07:28:27

Most preschools here don't have uniform (the odd one had a sweatshirt).

It's one of the many reasons we didn't choose a school preschool as I think they start school too young! We were lucky to have that choice though as in our area most don't have nursery year attached. I'm aware that's not the case elsewhere.

curren Thu 24-Mar-16 07:29:57

Ds wore uniform for preschool. But if the kids didn't want I wear them, they didn't have to. Most kids wore it. The odd kid, didn't. A couple wore it some days and not others.

I put Ds in it from day one because I find it's easier and I knew when he started full time school he wouldn't want to wear it if he wasn't in a routine of it.

I got his trousers from asda. Never need ironing.

Troika Thu 24-Mar-16 07:41:11

We have a uniform, just a t shirt and jumper wear whatever bottoms you like. It's not compulsory. It's mostly to stop them ruining their home clothes.

Whathaveilost Thu 24-Mar-16 07:54:50

I liked the pre schoolers in uniform. It kept things simple in the mornings.
My lads uniform was jogg bottoms, polo shirt and a sweatshirt with school logo.

It helped prevent any tantrums about what clothes they were going to wear. One DS always wanted shirts and t shirts on even when it was snowing outside but got his head around the uniform policy.

wonkylegs Thu 24-Mar-16 07:58:59

I've never ironed a pair of school trousers - get DSs from Morrison's or Asda
DS didn't wear a uniform for nursery as it was a private nursery but understand why if you are part of a school you would have one.

Ragwort Thu 24-Mar-16 08:05:26

I've also never ironed school trousers and my DS is 15 now - just fold them over the hanger when they are dry - couldn't be easier.

I'd also prefer a uniform for pre-schoolers, as others say, it saves time in the morning and stops children being dressed as fashion accessories by over-invested mummies.

strawberrybubblegum Sun 27-Mar-16 20:24:10

My pre-schooler has major uniform envy! She asks me 'Am I big enough to have a uniform yet?' most days.

I have already had to buy her a generic book bag in the colour of the nearby primary school. Luckily she hasn't spotted that hers is missing the logo! Sending her to a non-uniform pre-school in a fake uniform would be a step too far though blush

MiaowTheCat Tue 29-Mar-16 12:34:09

Ours has a uniform - well a coloured top to wear and most people just raid the uniform section of the supermarkets for that colour polo and jumper as it's the cheapest way to do it. I don't mind it - it tones down the parental lunacy of inappropriate clothing and stops decent stuff getting wrecked (and since my two generally emerge most days looking like they've been in a bar brawl in the art cupboard followed by a food fight in mud...)

I tend to just send them in dark coloured legggings/tracksuit bottoms on the lower half.

navitasharma Wed 11-May-16 12:53:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BombadierFritz Wed 11-May-16 12:58:46

What are you doing to those trousers?? smile

I use most different supermarket brands and all are fine. I peg out to dry by waistband then hang them on hangers folded along the 'permacrease' and they are fine. Think mine are mostly asda with some m and s

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now