Defer nursery school start?

(6 Posts)
Hesalovernotabiter Wed 09-Mar-16 08:47:22

Our lb is 2.5, we live in England and he is a September baby aka the oldest in his year.

In our local authority you are invited to take up your nursery place on your third birthday. So DS will effectively be in nursery for 2 years before going into reception class.

He currently goes to private nursery for 4 sessions a week and we have the option to let him stay there until he starts reception at age (almost) 5 if we wish.

I've been thinking about deferring his start at state nursery until he is 4, so only at 'school' in nursery for one year.

He has been at private nursery for a year, loves it and we are very happy with him there. He has a moderate speech delay which we are waiting for a SALT referral for.

Has anyone deferred a state nursery start, in similar or completely different circumstances?

My DD stayed at private nursery until she started reception class as this worked best for our family at the time.

Any info would be really appreciated smile

poocatcherchampion Wed 09-Mar-16 08:50:29

State nursery is just one option amongst many. We haven't used it.

Hesalovernotabiter Wed 09-Mar-16 08:53:37

You have just put into one sentence the thoughts I have been struggling with for some time, thank you 😊 Love your name by the way!

Dangermouse1 Wed 09-Mar-16 10:03:00

Also have a boy with a September birthday and we didn't take up our place at 3 years old. This was mainly as our local nursery was full and I didn't want him to have to move later on. Haven't regretted it at all. I think at 4 he will be much better equipped to start e.g. at 3 although he was potty trained was not very reliable and would have got less help than at his private nursery/home. Also I work part time and we've been able to do lots of activities on my days off (swimming, parks, gymnastics) which I think he would have been too tired for after a half day at nursery (5 half days is only option here). Of course everyone has different circumstances but if you feel this is right for you I would go for it.

poocatcherchampion Wed 09-Mar-16 16:01:26

You knew the answer already I suspect. Sometimes just writing it out helps!

Inkymess Thu 24-Mar-16 07:39:03

At our school, loads start at the age of 3 and come out of private nursery. Most come over for the total convenience that their siblings are there so one drop off, one pick up, all together and as siblings that's where they will go to school. They transition at 3 not 5, with their friends and it's a breeze. None of our school nursery DC had any issues going to reception whereas some others too, weeks to settle. They know the school and teachers from an early age.
The school nurseries near us have wrap round care too or CM pick all DC up together for working parents.
The school and private nurseries follow the same EYFS curriculum, so DC get same learning etc. School nurseries are generally a massive amount cheaper than private nursery if using more than just the free hours (1/2 the cost here).
Round here most DC move across, so DC left at private nursery often end up as the oldest child with a number of younger ones and bored.
Mine did 2 years school nursery and I wouldn't ever have changed it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now