DS loves the phonics they do at nursery - suggestions to do at home?

(12 Posts)
drspouse Tue 26-Jan-16 16:32:43

Just that really! He's just 4, so school in September. He's very poor at motor skills so can only just trace letters if you hold his hand so I'm working on other things than "writing" (he can't draw much beyond scribbling either) but he can tell you a lot of letters and tell you about some sounds in words.
We do the "what else starts with m" etc. which he's starting to get.
Thanks!

IoraRua Tue 26-Jan-16 16:36:12

Work on his motor skills. He has lots of time to develop that but it is important for school.
I would be less fussed about the phonics, but if he likes it go ahead. You could get him making letters out of playdough, drawing pictures of words starting with the same letter, magnetic letters on the fridge.

insancerre Tue 26-Jan-16 18:34:38

search on here for mrz fantastic pre-writing skills list
you really dont need to do tracing letters
today our preschoolers have been developing muscles by swinging on the monkey bars and the rope ladder
also building with lego, and playing with play dough

drspouse Tue 26-Jan-16 20:34:28

We do some motor skills activities and I can't keep him away from the Lego, but his attention span for many of the sitting down activitIes is very limited e.g. playdough he can't make much so loses interest, same with drawing, he'll happily do a scribble an hour so it's not that he won't do things, he just does them for a very short time!

He can't yet climb a climbing frame, but I'm not convinced you need THAT much upper arm strength for the level of fine motor skills he's working on, especially considering how short a time he does them for.

I've found mrz's list and we can try some of those though the ones we do already are again short lived, but he WILL sit still for stories and listening (or at least he won't run off!) and I don't see why we should do all activities that are hard/he doesn't really succeed at, and skip the ones he actually likes.
Anyway nursery have told me they are working on spotting rhymes just now so we did a bit of that in our bedtime read.

drspouse Tue 26-Jan-16 20:36:15

Iora he can't draw anything recognisable though is happy to attempt a scribble of anything, he wouldn't be able to make a letter out of playdough.

Monkeymonstermum Tue 09-Feb-16 11:48:47

Our nursery recommends the Finger Phonics books - they learn the phonics but also can trace the letter with their finger for the direction ready for writing. Can also get a book and CD to sing some of the phonics songs (all v short and he recognised from nursery).

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 09-Feb-16 12:09:53

Look at phonics play online - lots of printable stuff so cheap and cheerful

drspouse Tue 09-Feb-16 12:40:47

Great thanks!
They've been doing rhyme recently so we've been working on rhyming books we have and nursery rhymes, it's all very basic and he thinks up some truly random wrong rhymes sometimes but he's enjoying it.

MiaowTheCat Fri 12-Feb-16 09:00:58

Mine are currently obsessed with the fridge phonics toy we got - you pop a magnetic letter in the bus and get a very very irritating jingle with the letter name and letter sound. Irritates the shit out of me but they both love it.

DD1 sounds fairly similar though - her motor skills (fine and gross) were pretty meh until recently and preschool have very much been focusing on those with her over anything else. One thing that has made a massive difference with her (she was premature and while she's more than caught up on most stuff - her motor skills were the area that suffered) was when she started preschool gymnastics - the confidence, and the fact that after that she'd actually physically challenge herself more that she gained from that was really a massive boost and she's suddenly just leapt forward in that area. It's not a gymtots type thing she goes to - it's at a proper competitive type gymnastics club who run a preschool level class.

Jesabel Fri 12-Feb-16 09:22:22

If you look up "Letters and Sounds" Phase 1, that will give you basically the phonics curriculum for this age. There are lots of suggestions for games and activities. If he is really secure at the phase 1 skills (discriminating sounds, rhyme and alliteration, oral blending and segmenting) he will be in a great position to learn to read once he starts school.

MyNameIsSuz Fri 12-Feb-16 09:23:04

My 3 year old is really into it too, constantly asking how to spell things. He really loves these foam letters we got for the bath (big tub from Sainsbury's), they stick on the wall and we spell out words with them. He also really loves the alphablocks game on the cbeebies app!

drspouse Fri 12-Feb-16 12:48:31

I think we aren't quite at the spelling stage but I do like the idea of gymnastics actually.
Will also check out Letters and Sounds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now