Phonetic alphabet to the tune of 'Twinkle'

(10 Posts)
Breadandwine Mon 18-Jan-16 14:37:43

I posted this on another thread in AIBU, but thought it might have more relevance here.

I used to do an odd hour or so at my wife's playgroup - mainly so I could unwind after a nightshift.

I made up a proper phonetic alphabet, song. Which went 'a buh cuh', instead of 'ay bee see'.

Like this:

a buh cuh duh e fuh guh
huh i juh kuh luh muh nuh
o puh kwu ruh suh tuh uh
vuh wuh kss yuh zuh, that's all.

Now I know my a buh cuh
Won't you sing along with muh

Collapse in fits of giggles - because of the silly rhyme.

The kids got this - much more useful, don't you think?

(You'll need to practice this a bit before unleashing it on your LOs!)

dementedpixie Mon 18-Jan-16 14:44:07

No, because there shouldn't be an 'uh' sound at the end e.g. The sound for 'm' should be 'mmm' not muh

FrozenPonds Mon 18-Jan-16 14:44:35

When teaching my child to read using phonics, I didn't use the sounds that you did.

S is ssss, N is nnn for example.

I think the alphabet song is used to teach alphabetical order and letter names more than anything else.

SisterMoonshine Mon 18-Jan-16 14:50:33

I think you should probably be going home and getting some sleep instead of meddling with children's phonics learning and getting the sounds wrong.

Breadandwine Mon 18-Jan-16 15:00:40

Well that was the problem, sister - if I went straight to bed, I couldn't sleep!

You've got to admit that my version - with amendments as suggested by pixie and frozen, perhaps, is better than ABC!

And we did have fun! grin

angelinalo Mon 18-Jan-16 15:08:26

This is too painful for words sad

insancerre Tue 19-Jan-16 18:21:43

No, no, no
And a million times no
You should have gone to bed

BertieBotts Tue 19-Jan-16 18:26:11

This doesn't work for phonics, because you can't get the consonant sounds together like that. You effectively HAVE to say buh, cuh, duh, which doesn't help children with phonics.

Sorry. It sounds like fun but it's not phonics. The ABC song is probably more useful than this in an educational context, since ah buh duh shouldn't be taught at all any more.

Quiero Tue 19-Jan-16 18:26:50

I'm sure your Ivor Novello award is in the post hmm

BertieBotts Tue 19-Jan-16 18:28:05

For a playgroup, anyway, it probably doesn't matter as they won't yet be learning either phonics or letter names.

Still - perhaps another silly song would cause less angst grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now