Accent and mistakes?

(3 Posts)
Vitotitto Tue 11-Aug-15 15:03:38

Hi, ladies!
I'm a new mum; my DS is 2.5 months now, and perhaps it is a bit too early to worry much about this, but I can't stop thinking about it.

I moved to the UK five years ago, English is not my native language. Same for my husband.
Anyway, I was sure that we should start learning English with our son from the very beginning, so it will be easier for him to communicate in nursery school.

The truth is that none of the families that I know do not learn English with children prior to the kindergarten fearing to spoil the pronunciation. Kind of "it's harder to fix", so better not to learn English at all).

To be honest, it's quite scary for me. I can't imagine my son going to nursery school at his three not knowing the English words!

I will be glad to get any advice and thoughts on this matter, maybe someone has the similar experience in this field?
I thought that despite the mistakes and accent that I certainly have, it is better to learn the language with the kid, so it won't shock him later on.

P.s.: my native language is Ukrainian.

lilacblossomtime Tue 11-Aug-15 15:12:18

I think it is definitely better to start early, he is sure to pick up the slightly different pronunciation more easily than learning a whole new language. Especially if he watches English TV, meets English friends and so on.

NicholasName Wed 16-Sep-15 19:55:59

I think it'll be a hell of a lot less scary for a 3yr old to be able to speak English when they start nursery.

They can learn better pronunciation later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now