Preschool watching PG films - aibu

(17 Posts)
abadoo Tue 21-Jul-15 20:01:32

Ds (who I will admit upfront is a first born...) has just started at a new preschool as we moved. They're running holiday camp.
Every day they watch an hour of TV (he's there 8-315). Im not delighted with that but what seems worse is what they are watching... Lego movie, despicable me, big hero 6 - we've so far limited him to a steady diet of cbeebies so this is new territory. He's currently coming home saying it was scary and has left the room a couple of times.
Aibu to think that for a group of under 4s this isn't the best choice of films to be watching? Or is this just a precious first born thing? They're just so little for such a short time.
I've tried mentioning to teachers he seems scared but nothing has changed so far. What to-do?

LittleBearPad Tue 21-Jul-15 20:03:26

I wouldn't be happy with the hour of TV. Not because my children don't watch TV but that's not the point of nursery/preschool.
I would definitely bring it up with the head.

abadoo Wed 22-Jul-15 09:48:22

I agree littlebear. I asked this morning and it is only during the holidays which I suppose is better. We've agreed they will tell me what they're watching and I will decide what's OK. I feel bad if he's the only kid not allowed though

SavoyCabbage Wed 22-Jul-15 09:51:48

I'm not in the UK but our school has to get us to sign a permission slip to allow them to watch PG stuff.

LittleBearPad Wed 22-Jul-15 15:38:37

But nurseries/pre-schools don't really have holidays? So there could be weeks of this?

My DD was in nursery 48 weeks of the year. They didn't watch films or TV. It sounds odd to me. Maybe it's an older children thing.

HSMMaCM Wed 22-Jul-15 19:07:05

There are hundreds of U films. Why don't they watch them? Not all children are ready for PG films at that age.

RiverTam Wed 22-Jul-15 19:08:45

No, I wouldn't be happy. Even Us are 'universal from the age of 4'. I would complain. God, DD is 5.5 and she hasn't seen any of those!

noblegiraffe Wed 22-Jul-15 19:17:39

DD is 2 and has watched all those films because she has a big brother who likes them. I think you are much slacker with your second born though, DS didn't watch anything like that when he was that age! She loves Baymax and the scary stuff goes over her head.

I think you could definitely request only U films be shown, that would be reasonable.

BackforGood Wed 22-Jul-15 21:27:01

I wouldn't be happy either.
I wouldn't be happy with them expecting pre-schoolers to sit and watch an hour (??most films are 90mins, surely?) at all, let alone on a daily basis.

If there were the odd occasion they were watching TV, then I would expect it to be a prog / film that were suitable for all. There are LOADS of 'U' rated films out there.

Not pfb at all. I would be complaining long and loud. You could start by asking them what part of the EYFS they are covering at this point. It's not relevant if it is the school holidays and they are also taking in older dc (who usually love Disney / Pixar type films anyway) - if they are taking money of you to provide Nursery/Pre-school hours, then they should be offering activities suitable for pre-schoolers.

ineedaholidaynow Wed 22-Jul-15 22:41:29

My Y5 DS watched a PG film at school today. The teacher sent a slip in the children's bags at the beginning of the week to let parents know and asked them to have a word with her if they had a problem with it. Thought that was normal policy. Very strange of a nursery to let such young children to watch PG films without parents' permission

mrz Thu 23-Jul-15 07:57:40

Is it private childcare? Are older children attending the holiday camp?

abadoo Fri 24-Jul-15 22:20:10

Hmm. No older kids - just nursery age. It is a private school nursery but I don't think they see the hols as part of EYFS. I hadn't thought about the U only rule but I like it as way more simple than calling me to ask.
Thanks for the support mumsnet. I am going in to complain more on Tuesday morning!

LittleBearPad Sat 25-Jul-15 00:55:04

If it's just nursery age then they are taking the mick. There is no concept is term time etc. complain away!

insancerre Sat 25-Jul-15 09:12:46

Im a nursery manager and there is no way I would allow this
I have worked in nurseries that did this. I either binned the TV or left
It is lazy and is just using the TV as a babysitter
Complain in writing and state you don't want your child watching any TV
And they should still be following their legal obligations under the EYFS regardless of holidays or not

lovetheweekends Sun 26-Jul-15 08:57:28

I'm really surprised this is allowed to happen!
DD (aged 9 - year 4) could take a DVD in during the last week of term. She took Big Hero 6, and they were not able to watch it as it wasn't a U.
This was 8/9 year olds!!

abadoo Sun 02-Aug-15 09:46:37

Thanks everyone. I have made progress- seems like it's been moved to bob the builder and Mr men so St least the content is right.

cece Sun 02-Aug-15 09:50:44

I teach Year 6 and I am not allowed to show PG rated films.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now