What should my 3 year old son know?

(8 Posts)
AnnaD25 Thu 15-Jan-15 00:44:04

My little boy turned 3 in December, He knows his shaoes , colours, his alphabet, and can count to 15, He reconizes the letters A and B on paper, and 1234, Is he ready for nursery?

Messygirl Thu 15-Jan-15 10:02:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Messygirl Thu 15-Jan-15 10:03:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JennyBlueWren Thu 15-Jan-15 20:53:52

As others have said it's not about knowing stuff but about their social and emotional abilities.
Is he comfortable about leaving you? Is he toilet trained -and independent (had a 3 yr old start who was supposedly fine but asked me to hold her on the toilet!)? Is he able to occupy himself? And follow simple instructions? Can he share? Does he have tantrums?

Even better if he can change his own coat and shoes too.

Littlefish Thu 15-Jan-15 21:37:33

If your little boy was 3 in December then he is eligible for his 15 hours of funded sessions (if he is in England).

I agree with all the others, that at this age, academic knowledge is less important than social and emotional development.

I think that most children are ready to spend a little time away from their parents by the time they are 3. In the nursery where I work, children like your ds who will get 5 terms of funding often start off doing fewer than their 15 hours e.g. 3 x 3 hour sessions, and build up to their full 15 hours in the year before they start school.

agatap89 Thu 21-May-15 15:37:39

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

zingally Wed 27-May-15 11:01:24

Can he recognise his name written down? NOT writing it himself, but able to recognise it on a coat peg for example.

Skyler77 Thu 04-Jun-15 08:49:01

Your son sounds like a little genius, if you ask me! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now