Salcombe prep or Vita et Pax for 3yr old starting Sept 2014

(5 Posts)
fuznanji Fri 23-May-14 14:13:48

I'm having a hard time choosing between these two schools. I've seen some old posts about them on mumsnet but not as much recently. I got the feeling Vita was the more nurturing and warm of the two but a higher number of 11+ go to Grammars from Salcombe (comparing the latest results from both). The facilities e.g. room size and maintenance of the building, seemed better at Vita but the wraparound care at Salcombe is much better (8am-6pm and hot lunches). I'm worried about my ds being put under too much pressure but also very conscious that he will need the best prepping to get into grammar for secondary. Any helpful comments/reviews?

ag123 Sat 11-Oct-14 20:07:03

Hi there,
Trying to start up some old threads... just wondering if the op or anyone else has any comments about the schools mentioned in the thread title?

Curlywurly77 Thu 16-Oct-14 21:41:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ag123 Sun 19-Oct-14 12:35:23

Only just found this reply. Thanks CurlyWurly77 that is very interesting as I thought Vita et Pax was the more academic of the two. Do you have any comments on the extra-curricular activities, sports and general facilities at both schools?

Curlywurly77 Sun 19-Oct-14 17:47:26

Actually looking at things more closely and the transfer list I would say they perform equally academically. Some feel that English as a subject is of a higher standard at Vita Et Pax and Maths a little higher at Salcombe. As a working parent Salcombe offers after school care until 6pm which Vita et Pax does not clubs go on till 4.30 or 5pm. Both offer a variety of clubs. However Vita Et Pax's facilitates wins hands down they have a large playground and also a playing field. Salcombe's Lower School has no real playground to speak of. Your paying fees but the playground facility for play and sports is really lacking, so space for PE is really poor. Although at the upper school they take children to the local sport ground but that only starts at Junior school. The playground at the upper school is still small!
Vita as said proper hall for gym and indoor sport not so at Salcombe. Vita has a large playing field and playground plus takes the children to the local sports ground. Vita Et Pax has a proper library for the children. Every thing is large and bright at Vita et Pax. One of the draw backs at Vita Et Pax was that it did not serve school lunches so you had to have a pack lunch. In Jan at the parents request they will be serving school lunches which will be cooked on site. Draw back on this is you can't have pack lunches anymore if you want to. This is to cover costs of setting up the lunch facilities. Because it is a purpose built school it provides everything needed science labs, art facilities etc. Salcombe is not and everything is cramped. Although they have a new science lab at the Upper school
Some parents of course like Salcombe equally many don't. Salcombe is busy marketing itself with slick videos etc, being on Facebook, etc. Part of being part of the Cognita empire.
Vita et Pax just gets on with being a school does.
So far being at Vita Et Pax not heard anything negative. Parents and kids overall are happy with the school plus the head teacher is always around and the children know her well. My child loves Vita Et Pax and I wish I had started there. My child feels encouraged and wants to actually work and enjoys the school day at Vita Et Pax
I started at Salcombe and regret I spent so many years there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now