60% price rise at Kiddicarru nursery since Jan for my 4 year old!!!!

(39 Posts)
Carolineabroad Tue 25-Mar-14 08:29:00

Hi all, would be very interested to hear from other parents who have experienced the same thing.

Feeling APPALLED & OUTRAGED!!! My Nursery bill for my 4 year old son has gone up by over 60% since January!!!! I don't feel that this is fair or reasonable or that it was communicated in advance clearly at all.
Despite what myself and several other parents were told, this has nothing to do with 'new government legislation' & our bills will not 'even out of the year'.
After months of battling over emails, the Managing Director has now suggested I remove Jack from nursery.
How can they be allowed to increase prices so much mid way through the year??!!!
I have arranged my working patterns around Jack attending 4 mornings & will struggle to find alternative provision; not to mention the fact I don't want to cause him upheaval & disruption so close to him finishing there.
I think this will strike a chord with many of your readers who are struggling with the cost of childcare.
How are hard working parents expect to be able to work, even part time hours with a 60% increase to our childcare costs?
Kiddicarru is a national organisation with nineteen branches country wide. So it won't be only Northampton parents who are being ripped off.
I have piles of email correspondence which clearly demonstrates the company's appalling customer service & where they have failed to be transparent. I am taking this up with the media, my MP, the council....

In summary;

A 60% increase to fees is a disgrace. This should not be legally possible. Hiding the change, refusing to reply or confirm the change & then requesting that our child be removed from the nursery after we complain.

Caroline

Carolineabroad Wed 26-Mar-14 12:30:25

Mcfreezingmybuttoff did they try to lie about changes to you too?

Carolineabroad Wed 26-Mar-14 12:32:44

Hi J's mum! I've contacted ofsted and they are due an inspection but they deal with children's welfare and I guess the welfare issue here is with regard to CEO suggesting I remove him which would affect his welfare adversely

Carolineabroad Wed 26-Mar-14 12:39:37

Legally I believe they are required to give one one months notice of price change & that this is communicated clearly.

The changes were so well hidden within the new billing structure that myself and all the other parents I spoke to could not realise the impact this would have on my bill.

Also they said that the new monthly billing structure was in response to extensive feedback from parents (no one I have spoken to aware of this research) and as one mum pointed out ,which parent in their right mind should prefer their bills to be different each month and 60% higher overall!!!!????

Carolineabroad Wed 26-Mar-14 12:45:36

Actually insancerre , only recently have the government stressed the importance of the free funded hours for making it possible /viable in helping parents return to work, (extended in some areas to include 2 year olds) though no one argue that it isn't in the child's best interest too.

insancerre Wed 26-Mar-14 13:30:00

it wasn't this government that introduced the nursery education grant and it wasn't them either that extended the scheme to needy 2 year olds
if they want to help parents with childcare costs they need to make the scheme work for the nurseries that provide the care
nurseries are left to carry the financial brunt and are losing money
I doubt Ofsted would be interested in financial complaints

More importantly than the money, they failed to support him and my sister through a statement for special needs. Needless to say my an is behind educationally and my sis nearly had a breakdown. I'll never forgive them for what they put us through.

Carolineabroad Wed 26-Mar-14 14:00:50

Correction January bills was only 50% increase

Cindy34 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:03:29

Are trading standards involved? If the change to contract and/or pricing is not clear, then trading standards may be able to be involved in at least getting things clearer.

Apparently caru is Asturian (a Romanian language) for 'expensive'. So the clue was very carefully hidden in the name it seems!

Amazing the things you find out when googling the non-words nurseries seem to love using. Still searching for the meaning of 'Migpot' though... :/

Carolineabroad Thu 27-Mar-14 18:03:23

Hadn't thought to contact Trading standards.

Well Caru meaning expsensive is quite fitting!

zipzap Thu 27-Mar-14 19:52:12

Are they registered with a professional organisation that you could complain to?

Do they have a Facebook page or twitter account that you could put a comment on? You'd need to be pretty careful - you don't want to put big accusations on that they will just turn around and throw your ds out as they don't want you there. But you could ask them to clarify why they won't let you claim all 15 hours for example. Can you get them to confirm that they are not claiming them anyway in case you wanted to use those 3 other hours elsewhere... There was a thread on here a while back where somebody discovered that they were only using 12 hours but The nursery were claiming all 15 hours for her so could have caused all sorts of problems if she had then tried to use them elsewhere.

Also inspired by a previous thread - would they have enough staff to take your ds if you did turn up really early one day? If they don't (because they've assumed that you won't be there) then that would be great thing to go back to them and ask why you are paying for the time if they aren't providing the staff to cover it. Even better if you can get several others who don't normally arrive early to arrive early on the same day so that it's not one person they have to slip in but several which is much more difficult if they don't have enough staff scheduled to cover that time!

Good luck - its miserable when you get screwed like this!

zipzap Thu 27-Mar-14 19:53:36

Oh and do you really want your identifying info on here? Might be worth reporting the thread yourself and asking MNHQ to make it anonymous...

Carolineabroad Fri 28-Mar-14 09:57:14

Thanks so much for your ideas & support zipzap.

TiggyD Fri 28-Mar-14 10:53:28

Carry on what you're doing and make a big fuss.

If the increase was sneakily hidden then I would say sneak off to another nursery and let them chase you for the bill.

I've done supply work at a Kiddi Caru. They're good, but not all that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now