When will my child be able to start pre school?

(35 Posts)
TKKW Fri 21-Feb-14 19:07:35

My child is 3 in second week of April and in Staffordshire, the Summer term begins on 28th April.

I thought we could start it Summer term (ie the term after they turn 3) but nursery said it would be september.

Desperate for the 15 hours "free".

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks.
T

MrsMarigold Fri 28-Feb-14 09:46:55

Thanks for clarifying, although I've lived here ages some days I still feel very foreign.

my ds just makes the cut off (will be 3 on 30th march) but the nursery is full and even the private option is full so we will have to wait until Sept anyway. most of my friends are in the same position. I am gutted as just had dc2 and had been counting down to April and now have to add another 4/5 months to my wait sad

Oh phew! Thanks all.

Three year olds will be able to start a free nursery place in the September, January or April following their third birthday.

Your child's birthday must be before:

31 March will be eligible for free nursery education from the Summer Term (April)

31 August will be eligible for free nursery education from the Autumn Term (September)

31 December will be eligible for free nursery education from the Spring term (January)

These are the cut off dates. If your child's birthday is for example on the 1st or 2nd January and the term starts on the 5th January I am afraid their funding will not start until the Summer Term after Easter because they have passed the cut off date of 31st December.

--------------------------------------------------------------
ie. if the 3rd birthday is from 1st Jan to 31st March then they would get funding from April

if the 3rd birthday is from 1st April to 31st August then funding is from September

if the 3rd birthday is from 1st September to 31st December then funding is from January

she wouldnt be funded from Jan 2015 as she would still only be 2years old

MrsMarigold, I think your dd would get her free hours from the January after she turns 3 (January 2016?). She would start school August 2017 just before she is 5.

Antoinette, your dd will be funded from the January if she is 3 in the September before.

madamginger Thu 27-Feb-14 19:13:55

Mrsmarigold your hours will start in Jan 2015 and she will start school in sept 2017 so she will start school just before her 5th birthday

madamginger Thu 27-Feb-14 19:11:50

Antoinette if her birthday is in September her funded hours will start in January.

OP I think it was a valid question-I had no idea there were cut offs! DD will be 3 mid-September this year so I assumed she'd get the free hours from Jan 2015-am dismayed it won't be till the Easter term!

MrsMarigold Thu 27-Feb-14 18:56:14

Ok I'm also confused my DD's birthday falls on 14 September 2012 so when does she count as 3+ and what year will she start reception?

LouiseSmith Tue 25-Feb-14 11:46:43

The term after there 3rd birthday is what it is in kent smile

HSMMaCM Sun 23-Feb-14 09:44:45

Agree. Summer term starts 1st April, regardless of when the children are physically in the building.

TKKW Fri 21-Feb-14 20:05:11

Thanks for your help everyone. I have no more questions.

OddBoots Fri 21-Feb-14 20:04:11

What you read was too simplistic, they can't base it on the holidays as they move about, the cut off for the summer term is and has always been 1st April.

TKKW Fri 21-Feb-14 20:02:29

Really, NickNacks! Im querying it, that's all. I read you were offered nursery space "the term after your child turns 3" as my child being able start in May as they turn 3 in the holiday between terms and the birthday is not in a half term holiday.

NickNacks Fri 21-Feb-14 19:58:10

It's really not that hard to understand!!

Me thinks you're deliberating misunderstanding now!!

if her birthday is 13th April then she has not turned 3 before 1st April, has she?? (and that is the cut off date for funding from the summer term). It's not difficult to understand.

insancerre Fri 21-Feb-14 19:55:08

there are cut
off points
1st Jan
1st Apr
1st sep
if a child is 3 before these dates they can claim the funding
so the funding can be claimed for the term after they are 3

TKKW Fri 21-Feb-14 19:50:58

She turns 3 before the summer term, on 13th April and summer term starts 28th April.
Im so confused!

insancerre Fri 21-Feb-14 19:47:20

a child needs to be 3 before 1st April to claim the free hours
op, your did is not eligible till sep

NickNacks Fri 21-Feb-14 19:46:26

No 31st march is the last date. 1st April will be September too.

I feel for you! My dd is first couple of day in September so we had to wait until jan to be funded, so I paid for the first term.

addictedtosugar Fri 21-Feb-14 19:45:15

Yes, the summer term is the term after your daughter turns 3 this year.
To make it logistically easier, many places have said the summer terms always starts 1 April, so you are too late - and you'll have to wait til Sept (2017) for your may baby also.

What I don't understand is if the summer babies are behind when they start school, why do the older babies get 5 terms of preschool, and the youngest only 3 terms. Surely that is going to widen any gap between the nearly 5's and just 4's when reception starts???

NickNacks Fri 21-Feb-14 19:45:05

No she turns 3 during the summer term and so is funded from the next term which is September.

TKKW Fri 21-Feb-14 19:44:33

oldboots, so if child born on 1st April, they can go summer term?

there will be a cut off date for when you would get the free hours i.e. she would have to turn 3 before 1 April to get funding from the Summer term (so she just misses it). She therefore needs to wait until the next intake which seems to be September in your area

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now