Help deciding which preschool

(4 Posts)
mummellow Wed 15-Jan-14 15:05:19

I’m tearing my hair out trying to decide which nursery/preschool is best for my daughter.

To cut a long story short my daughter (4yo) attended a lovely rural preschool which shut suddenly just before Christmas. Since then we have been trying to find somewhere else for her to go, unfortunately many of the local preschools are full on the days I would like her to attend (I work so the days are fairly fixed unfortunately). I have whittled our choices down to 2:

1.Small nursery, 1 room with a mixture of babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers. Very outdoorsy like our old preschool, packed lunch (like old preschool) and her best friend is there too (best friend will be going to different school in Sept though). However, there is only a small number of pre-schoolers attending, most days only 4 and on one day 2 children who will be going to school in September, would mean a small change in working pattern, but manageable. Most children attending are either babies or toddlers.

2.Larger nursery, dedicated preschool room with up to 14 preschoolers, much more formal and structured, more school like. Some children are likely to be going to same school as daughter in September. Cooked lunch with no food choice.

I really can’t decide between the two, it really is a head or heart decision. Has anyone else been through similar and can offer advice?

cate16 Fri 17-Jan-14 21:21:09

The one both you and your daughter feels happiest in.

Nevercan Fri 17-Jan-14 21:25:03

I would go for option 2 as it will get her in the routine for school. My dd1 went to nursery 2 days which sounds like option 1 and then preschool for 1 day like option 2. I think she got more out of option 2 towards the end as it was more structured and they did different topics and she was excited about going.

blackandwhiteandredallover Fri 17-Jan-14 21:32:03

Go with your heart- I would go for option 1 personally and keep her with her best friend.

DD1 went to a preschool much like your option 1, with 2-4 yos all mixed in together, she was one of only about 3 or 4 older children. I agonized about it and nearly got swept up with everyone else moving their DC to the school nurseries because they were 'ready for a challenge' or 'needed more structure' hmm. I went with my heart and left her where she was happy and she had a fantastic year and started school brimming with confidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now