Can I use childcare vouchers for my nephew?

(10 Posts)
raaaasss Thu 12-Dec-13 09:50:11

I have built a bit of a stockpile. Does anyone know if I can use them to pay for my nephew's childcare as well as my own DC?

ReallyTired Wed 18-Dec-13 13:41:13

I don't think you can. Otherwise anyone could buy childcare vouchers and the whole thing would become corrupt.

Manchesterhistorygirl Wed 18-Dec-13 13:42:55

This is something we'd like to do. We built up a stockpile for ds2, except his setting doesn't take them! So we have getting on for 2k that's sitting doing nothing.

TheDayOfMyDoctor Wed 18-Dec-13 13:51:29

No - some info here

sanam2010 Tue 31-Dec-13 10:52:00

Manchesterhistory, you could still use them for a nanny or childminder, so you could use additional childcare/babysitting on top of your current nursery.

moonbells Tue 31-Dec-13 11:17:49

You can get refunds of the vouchers, or at least you would get a refund of the taxed amount.

So if you are taking maximum £243 of gross income, you would receive £144 back. You can get refunds all the way up to your child's 16th birthday.

(I was told this by my voucher provider)

RJandA Thu 02-Jan-14 16:25:59

moonbells I would check again with your voucher provider. HMRC website says only in exceptional circumstances, such as the death of a child.

OP, you must have parental responsibility for the child in question.

HTH

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 02-Jan-14 16:27:46

I got vouchers "refunded" to me minus tax and NI through work payroll

moonbells Thu 02-Jan-14 18:54:46

Provider is Computershares and they are adamant they can be refunded.

RJandA Thu 02-Jan-14 19:28:04

Worth checking with your voucher provider then, but it isn't guaranteed. The whole point of vouchers is that they are a non-cash benefit, so are exempt from NI (and tax). If they are readily convertible into cash (i.e. through guaranteed refunds whenever you want them) then you would have to pay tax and NI on them.

Maybe you could view it as an exceptional unforseen circumstance that the childcare provider you ended up with doesn't take vouchers though manchesterhistorygirl

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now