Poetry for pre schoolers??

(10 Posts)
Zoogeek Fri 04-Oct-13 14:56:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HystericalParoxysm Fri 04-Oct-13 14:57:05

Most of Julia Donaldson's books are actually poems.

PeterParkerSays Fri 04-Oct-13 15:17:37

We have noisy Poems which DS loves. It has "On the Ning Nang Nong" in it, plus ones about music, rain and "The Jazzman" which DS loves and could listen / dance to over and over again. DS's now just 4 but we've had the book for 18 months / 2 years.

AbbyR1973 Sun 06-Oct-13 23:14:34

How about the AA Milne poetry books- lots of great poems in there that DS's love including They're Changing Guards at Buckingham Palace, and Disobedience amongst others. Also Children's Garden of Verse by Robert Louis Stephenson- DS's favourites include My Shadow, the Swing and from a railway carriage. We also have The Nation's Favourite Children's Poems which has loads in it including of course The Ning Nang Nong.
I've been reading from all of these to DS1 and DS2 since they were 2-3 years old. They are now in Year 1 and Reception. They love them.

Zoogeek Mon 07-Oct-13 22:56:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Thewhingingdefective Mon 07-Oct-13 22:58:54

Definitely AA Milne.
Edward Lear? The Owl and The Pussycat, The Jumblies etc
Michael Rosen

Conina Mon 07-Oct-13 23:00:33

Dr Seuss - oh the places you'll go. DS loves this - and IMO such a positive message. Honestly - I think it's great! We read lots of poetry now and DS is really keen on it smile

He's three too.

Fantail Sun 13-Oct-13 04:29:57

There is a version of T.S Eliot's Cats tat is illustrated by Axel Scheffler which my DD likes.

fizzly Wed 16-Oct-13 22:56:14

yy to Julia Donaldson - my DS could recite most of her books at just 3, which I always thought should stand him in good stead for learning 'proper' poetry later on. And also Dr Seuss - we have a box set from the book people and they're just fab. Illustrations quite old fashioned but great for rhyme, alliteration and plain nonsense! We also have an Usbourne children's poems book - Poems for Young Children - which is very well illustrated and contains Lear, Benjamin Zephaniah, Wendy Cope.

momb Wed 16-Oct-13 23:02:15

By Rose Fyleman. The first poem I learnt by heart. I don't know if it is in an anthology but I have kept it with me since before I began school (over 40 years):

I think mice are rather nice.
Their tails are long.
Their faces small.
They haven't any chins at all.

Their ears are pink.
Their teeth are white.
They run about the house at night..
They nibble things they shouldn't touch,
and no-one seems to like them much.

But I think mice are nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now