Starting nursery at three. Very confused. Please can you help?

(15 Posts)
Emilythornesbff Mon 12-Aug-13 15:32:03

I think I am the only parent who doesn't understand about accessing over 3s funding for nursery.
I have a 2.7yo DS. I believe he would be able to start nursery school in the spring of 2014. The nursery school I would like him to attend doesn't offer "long days" only 5 x 3 hour sessions. I can't manage with this arrangement due to work so it has been suggested to me that I look at a day nursery.
I am at a loss as to figure out how the system of payment via the government scheme works. I have looked at the details of a couple of nurseries online but it makes no sense to me. I don't know how to k the nursery blue I don't really know what the "scheme" is called IYSWIM.
Can anyone explain it to me?
Many thanks.

tallulah Mon 12-Aug-13 16:17:57

The funding is only for 15 hours a week x 39 weeks. So if, as my DD was, the child is in FT nursery for 51 weeks of the year there is going to be a shortfall.

I don't know if it is the same for everyone but our nursery used to just show a deduction of £177 off the monthly bill, which was what they worked out the funding to be.

Just ask the nursery about Govt funding for over 3s. They will understand what you mean.

Emilythornesbff Mon 12-Aug-13 17:21:27

Ok thanks tallulah. Will do.

ShoeWhore England Mon 12-Aug-13 17:24:35

I think you'll have to ask the nursery.

Ours was quite generous and discounted the bill by 15 hours, whereas my friend's nursery just deducted the amount the govt gave them (which was less generous iirc)

Just say and what happens when they turn 3 and get their funding? they will know what you mean.

Blessyou Mon 12-Aug-13 17:26:27

In addition, the funding starts the term after which he turns three. So if he is 3 in January? then the govt funding for his placement could start at Easter.

savvymoo Mon 12-Aug-13 20:30:13

Round our way it is a reduction of £189/month on the nursery's rates. Our nursery has been incredibly flexible and would offer that over pretty much any combination of days/offers but others are different so you need to speak to them.

FrancesDeLaTourCoughngIntoABin Mon 12-Aug-13 20:34:17

You just need to ask the nursery whether they offer the "15 hours funding". Most/all do I suspect - which is not the case for CMs.
As someone else said, this tends to just mean some money off the bill

Emilythornesbff Thu 15-Aug-13 07:14:52

Ok. Thanks all. I think it's confusing fr me because he goes to a cm now, not a nursery. The funding won't cover cm fees (which is whe I would prefer him to stay tbh) so I have to find a nursery anew iyswim

SunnyIntervals Thu 15-Aug-13 07:17:21

Aren't CMs going to be able to offer this now? You might want to check that too!

SPBisResisting Thu 15-Aug-13 07:20:04

Some CMs can, some can't as I nderstand it. I think it depends how much paperwork they're prepared to fill in!

TheOldestCat Thu 15-Aug-13 07:23:21

My CM offers this as she is part of the Early Years thing (it's called something else now). Worth talking to your CM about it? Not sure what is involved although I suspect it involves a lot of paperwork for my CM.

Wonderstuff Thu 15-Aug-13 07:29:09

Some people I know stick with CM, but have CM take DC to local playgroup for sessions. You don't save money this way, but locally we have a fantastic playgroup which links to the primary school so it's good for transition.

SPBisResisting Thu 15-Aug-13 07:38:28

That's exactly what DD will start doing in September smile CM will take her to nursery

forevergreek Thu 15-Aug-13 14:21:13

Childminders can, but many won't ( and many nurseries don't now either), as they loose out on money.

For example if you pay £5 per hour, but government only covers £3.50 then they lose £1.50 per hour. That's £22.50 per child.

In central London many charge £7/£8 per hour, so could be loosing £4.50 per hour. £67.50 per child. If childminder looks after a couple of over 3s that's quiet a loss. Same with nurseries. They loose out x20/30/50 children, as you are supposed to offer 15 hours regardless of price so can't ask parents for top ups

Emilythornesbff Fri 16-Aug-13 09:34:26

<<head explodes>
Thank you so much.i will speak to my cm. she is v good and always takes him to groups.
I could top up the extra for her maybe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now