progress record to share with dd's new school... what does it mean?

(13 Posts)
Xihha Sun 14-Jul-13 16:25:26

4 year old Dd's pre-school have given me a progress record to pass on to her new school in September and I have no idea what it means, all her keyworkers comments are positive and pretty much what I'd expected but I don't understand the letters and numbers or what some of the categories are.

So first question is what do PSED, CL, PD, UW and EAD mean?

and second, She's got D for most things and a couple S, then E for reading and technology, is that about where she should be?

Xihha Sun 14-Jul-13 16:31:03

And are numbers on the side just the age ranges?

OddBoots Sun 14-Jul-13 16:36:18

Personal, social and emotional development
Communication and language
Physical development
Understanding the world
Expressive arts and design.

I'm not sure about 'D' 'S' and 'E' - are the numbers age bands (in months)? I guess they could be developing, secure and exceeding but they are guesses.

In my place we look at Development Matters and see where the child is in relation to their age in months and grade them but area as 'emerging' 'expected' and 'exceeding' (and for expected we break that down to 'high', 'secure' and 'low').

Cazalinka Sun 14-Jul-13 16:37:15

First acronyms refer to the areas of learning -e.g. personal, social, emotional development =psed. You can google the rest.
Never seen D,S, or E used but guessing it's refers to Developing, Secure and Exceeding in relation where your child is in that area... Something like that!

Cazalinka Sun 14-Jul-13 16:37:50

Old boots got there first!

Cazalinka Sun 14-Jul-13 16:38:25

*odd grin

OddBoots Sun 14-Jul-13 16:38:45

I'm glad we thought the same about the D S and E smile

Blackqueen Sun 14-Jul-13 16:46:15

The first lot are the areas of learning in the curriculum. So PSED = personal, social and emotional development, CL = communication & language, PD = physical development, UW = understanding the world and EA = expressive arts and design. There should also be M for mathematics.

The D,S,E's (I think) will stand for developing, secure and exceeding although we use slightly different terms in our LEA. The numbers will probably be age ranges - presumably 30-50/ 40-60 which is age in months.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 14-Jul-13 19:37:22

Sorry to throw a spanner grin but E might be for Emerging!smile

siblingrivalry Sun 14-Jul-13 19:47:28

YeS, E is for 'Emerging'.
The numbers are age ranges- but please use as a rough guide, as the 40-60 age range is more applicable to children in Year R.

Cazalinka Sun 14-Jul-13 20:17:08

Often it's 3 E's - emerging, expected and exceeding!

Wingdingdong Mon 15-Jul-13 00:01:26

Here it was developing, secure and exceeding on DD's report a year ago, but emerging, expected and exceeding this year.

Xihha Mon 15-Jul-13 10:44:34

Thank you.

Still not sure if her report is good or not, why do they have to change things? when my little sister got her playschool report it was needs work, getting there, good and very good, I understood that! now dd's got random letters and ds has numbers and letters and I have to look things up before I know if I should say well done! shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now