Preschool key workers with piercings and tattoos, I am not happy

(67 Posts)
tweety2000 Mon 08-Jul-13 22:27:30

My 3 y old will be starting preschool in September. We had a tester day today, but I was a bit unhappy to see few key workers with facial piercings, tongue piercing, and tattooed across the whole length of one of her leg (she was wearing short shorts). Am I just too old and not able to follow the modern times and accept that's its fine, or I am right to be concerned about this? To me it speaks a lot about the standards of the stuff that is beign employed.
I am not against them having those things but I am not keen of them showcasing it to preschoolers.

Would I sound unreasonable if I pointed this to a manager of preschool, or it would be unreasonable of me?

Quangle Tue 16-Jul-13 14:56:27

I don't like it either. Facial piercings especially. Everyone is being very cool about this but I don't like it. As for very short shorts, no. School is not a free-for-all or a club, it's a workplace and it wouldn't be acceptable in my workplace.

Fairylea Mon 15-Jul-13 13:51:06

Goodness me..surely nursery and school should be preparing dc for the real world where they will meet all kinds of people? Surely a good, caring nursery worker with tattoos and piercings is part of that education?! Otherwise the world is just going to continue to be as narrow minded and prejudiced as the op itself.

My dh is literally covered in tattoos and piercings. Head down no free skin! He works in management. Thankfully he's never had any negativity even when he's talked about them at interviews - and his job isn't anything "alternative" either.

rhetorician Mon 15-Jul-13 13:47:04

YABU and very judgy. One of dds key workers has a tongue piercing which led to some rather interesting discussions. Some of them have tattoos, she has never asked about those. As far as I know body piercings have no relationship to a persons capacity to be caring, nurturing, responsible etc.

IWipeArses Mon 15-Jul-13 13:45:20

Grow up.

GobbySadcase Mon 15-Jul-13 13:41:25

Get over yourself.
YABVU and ignorant.

RoxyFox211 Mon 15-Jul-13 13:40:15

Yabvu! What's that got to do with how good they are with children? I thought maybe you meant they had/were covered in face and neck tattoos which I guess maybe in certain circumstances I can sort of understand someone being a bit put off by, but the main thing is how competent they are are at looking after your dcs. Tongue piercing is hardly visible anyway! Pretty sure staff at dd's nursery have they odd lip/nose stud.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Mon 15-Jul-13 13:37:26

Am I just too old and not able to follow the modern times?

How old ARE you? I would think if you have a 3 year old you really can't be of a generation that would be shocked by tattoos.

YABU, DS's nanny had facial piercings and a tattoo and was a granny (so I'm guessing older than you) and was one of the kindest and most qualified childcare workers I've come across and had no problem getting work - even in quite a swish area.

Winston Churchill's mum had a tattoo and she seemed to have raised him right.

BeCool Mon 15-Jul-13 13:23:30

I think perhaps the manager of the preschool has already noticed! hmm
Of course YABVU!

Xihha Mon 15-Jul-13 13:13:15

Unless the tattoos are of naked ladies or swear words I really don't see what the problem is, DDs favourite lady at nursery has tattoos on both arms and one on her shoulder, a nose piercing and a tongue piercing and bright coloured hair that seems to change colour every term. She's absolutely brilliant at her job and loved by all the children.

Kryptonite Careful using your tattoos as a teaching tool, my friend has stars twisting round her arm and last time she looked after DD they had been playing count the stars but DD got bored of that game and it took my friend ages to wash the felt-tip off where DD had decided to colour them in instead. grin

Kyrptonite Mon 15-Jul-13 01:20:10

Oh fuck. I have 2 tattoos. One of which is 6 visible butterflies. All this time I've been a nursery practitioner I've used it as a counting tool or colours etc. I obviously should quit before I corrupt the children.

notanyanymore Mon 15-Jul-13 01:18:00

He he! My dd (3yrs) only knows one person with tattoo's (and we see them infrequently and even then rarely with the tattoo's on show) she's obsessed by tattoo's! Can't get enough of strangers with them and will draw all over herself at any given opportunity. I get why a nursery manager would have a dress code for staff, but op, you are being ridiculous. (Sorry)

yougogirl Mon 15-Jul-13 01:12:01

I realise that this answer may be unpopular with some but I am a nursery manager and our policy states that staff need to have discrete piercings and tattoos, preferably covered. We also have a dress code which would not allow very short shorts! I am generally broad minded and open but it is important to me that staff act and dress professionally. Tattoos and piercings are not for me but I accept that other people think differently. However, I don't want the little people we look after to draw all over their bodies or stick things into their skin or put things in their mouths and noses! Incidentally, I have a great staff team who are well respected and very happy to comply with our policies - I have never once had an objection from any staff member. We all have different standards and opinions but this works for us.

nkf Sun 14-Jul-13 20:32:08

I think there are probably many nurseries where nobody has a tattoo or facial piercings, but you will have to pay more for them.

KarenIsabella Sun 14-Jul-13 20:28:07

If the key worker is good it should not be a problem as long as the piercings/tattoos do not interfere with the teaching.

DumSpiroSpero Sat 13-Jul-13 17:06:53

Providing there's nothing rude on the tatts YABU. Having body art/piercings is no reflection on a person's ability to do their job.

That said I'd be a bit hmm about facial piercings from the POV that young children tend to like hanging off earrings so it may be a health and safety concern - don't see a problem if it's just a nose stud you're talking about.

WalkingRaces Sat 13-Jul-13 14:34:31

OP I completely sympathise with your plight.

I went to a tester day for my precious babby recently. One of the key workers was wearing a twin set and pearls, one had teeth like a horse and a fricking Alice band - who wears an Alice band at 55 ffs?

Anyway, I'm very worried my pfb is going to be coming home demanding pony riding lessons and crudites. What if hand me downs and Primark are no longer any good, and I have to clothe the poor child in Boden and JojoMammamBebeWaaWaaOKYahYah? What if my children grow up to be hoorays? How will I afford Eton and Benenden, and to kit them out for the polo team? Oh dear Christ, what if they want to wear cravats and change their names to Piers, and Cressida?

I'm fucking horrified, frankly.

Whogivesashit Sat 13-Jul-13 14:18:46

I work with children and have four tattoos. Does that
make me below standard? YABU Get that stick out your arse!

insancerre Sat 13-Jul-13 14:03:38

In most nurseries most of the childen have tattoos, albeit temporary
and many of them have piercings, i.e earrings
Get over yourself op.

You are being rediculous if this isn't a wind up.

PavlovtheCat Wed 10-Jul-13 14:38:03

FFS. YABU

flowery Wed 10-Jul-13 14:36:41

I'm sure if your 3 year old asked for a tattoo or piercing as a result of it being "showcased" to him/her I am sure you will manage to refuse such a request.

Other than that, what exactly is the nature of your concerns? What do you think will happen to your 3yo as a result of seeing a piercing? How do you plan to avoid this in everyday life?

What would you like the preschool manager to do?

NoComet Wed 10-Jul-13 14:24:12

Facial piercings turn my stomach.

Multiple ears piercings and tiny nose studs ok.

But tongue and eyebrow, ear stretchers and other random holes Just no!!!

Tattoos are fine if they aren't skulls or the grim reaper.

TobyLerone Wed 10-Jul-13 14:21:26

Seriously? What are you afraid of?

I have several tattoos and several piercings, including one in my tongue. I've managed to raise 2 children to teenage years (so far) with another one on the way. I am also in sole charge of my 20 month-old nephew today. I probably shouldn't be because of the piercings and tattoos, but his mum had to work. She also has piercings (inc tongue) and several tattoos, so I have no idea how she manages.

You are absolutely being unreasonable.

PeterParkerSays Wed 10-Jul-13 14:18:35

halestone, I think she meant staff but mis-typed......

PeterParkerSays Wed 10-Jul-13 14:17:44

OP, if the key work has loops / rings as part of her piercing jewellery, like this I'd have concerns about it in terms of children pulling it and it being unsafe.

If this isn't the case, I'd have more concern about the short shorts, as I wouldn't see them as professional / work wear - the staff at DS's nursery wear a uniform which includes full length trousers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now