Preschool key workers with piercings and tattoos, I am not happy

(67 Posts)
tweety2000 Mon 08-Jul-13 22:27:30

My 3 y old will be starting preschool in September. We had a tester day today, but I was a bit unhappy to see few key workers with facial piercings, tongue piercing, and tattooed across the whole length of one of her leg (she was wearing short shorts). Am I just too old and not able to follow the modern times and accept that's its fine, or I am right to be concerned about this? To me it speaks a lot about the standards of the stuff that is beign employed.
I am not against them having those things but I am not keen of them showcasing it to preschoolers.

Would I sound unreasonable if I pointed this to a manager of preschool, or it would be unreasonable of me?

ReallyTired Mon 08-Jul-13 22:28:30

YABU.

Get over yourself. For christ's sake.

sooperdooper Mon 08-Jul-13 22:29:58

It doesn't have any impact on the standard of their work, it would be unreasonable to say anything and discrimination to suggest they're unsuitable for their roles because of their appearance

Rindercella Mon 08-Jul-13 22:31:10

What snooper said.

csmm Mon 08-Jul-13 22:31:15

So you want your DC to only be taught by one kind of person - one whose sartorial choices you approve of? I've met plenty of thoroughly unpleasant people who wear a suit every day. I don't think you can judge their professional skills by appearance TBH.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 08-Jul-13 22:31:25

YABU. And I think the manager would be hmm if you mentioned it. What do you expect them to do - sack the staff?

As long as they're good at their job then that's what matters. Do you think your 3yo might come home asking for a tattoo?

Rindercella Mon 08-Jul-13 22:31:51

Sooper even hmm

LittleNoona Mon 08-Jul-13 22:32:06

YABU

Hopefully, your dc will grow up not to be as judgemental as their mother

ItsNotATest Mon 08-Jul-13 22:32:43

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

This is a wind up I presume?

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Mon 08-Jul-13 22:32:47

Yabu and incredibly judgey and narrow minded.

What if your dc had piercings or tattoos and someone looked down on your dc, as you are doing now?

They will have the same training etc as a member of staff with no piercings..

maja00 Mon 08-Jul-13 22:33:27

Lots of people have tattoos and piercings. Lots of parents do.

Not sure what effect you think it will have on your kid?

Beamur Mon 08-Jul-13 22:34:08

YABU
How does someone having tattoos/piercings make them unfit?
I'm pretty sure at least half the staff at my DD's nursery had various ear/nose/belly piercings (at the least) and they were a lovely bunch.

Ginger4justice Mon 08-Jul-13 22:34:19

Yup be afraid, I hear piercings are catching....
hmm

AuntieStella Mon 08-Jul-13 22:34:33

Well, I do draw a line at some levels of tattoo in a nursery setting - anything facial/most of neck and hands are no-noes, plus anything featuring nudes, obscenities or scary images such as skulls with snakes coming otu of eye sockets need to be covered at work.

Not so bothered about piercings (unless seriously scary amounts). Other than H&S of children's flailing limbs catching and ripping.

Cyclebump Mon 08-Jul-13 22:36:19

Hahahahahaha! Sorry, clearly you're joking?

Nursery and childcare staff are, in the main, paid incredibly low wages. If you are lucky to find a setting where the staff are passionate and good at their jobs who cares about tattoos and piercings.

PoppyWearer Mon 08-Jul-13 22:36:21

Oh boy.

My DD had a tattooed care worker and loved her/them. She used to try to draw the tattoos.

Next thing they'll be letting people with tattoos and piercings have children. (Clutches pearls) wink

omaoma Mon 08-Jul-13 22:37:32

interesting. DD's preschool has a teaching asst who wears one of those elasticated bandages over their arms to cover a tat. so obviously some schools want them covered. tbh i was a bit hmm that he was bothering to cover it, but DH thought it was a good thing. maybe it was just really lewd smile

SuperiorCat Mon 08-Jul-13 22:38:37

I wouldn't chose to have tattoos / piercings myself as I am a wuss, but I fail to see the link between people who have them and their ability to do a job?

Sounds like it will be good for your DC's to be exposed to a wider range of views.

HalfSpamHalfBrisket Mon 08-Jul-13 22:39:14

This sounds like a reverse AIBU even though its not in AIBU.

LackaDAISYcal Mon 08-Jul-13 22:41:09

Actually our school, which includes the preschool, have a policy of discrete peircings only and tattoos have to be covered. I don't think that, in a professional context, this is unreasonable.

So, I will buck the trend and say YANBU to want to comment on it or be concerned if that's the way you rock, but I would ask for the staff policy on it before kicking off. If it's the policy that anything goes, then YWBU to complain and your only recourse would be to find somewhere else that has a more rigourous policy.

LackaDAISYcal Mon 08-Jul-13 22:43:22

oh, missed the judgey bit in your OP. Having tattoos is bugger all to do with their ability to do the job, or the class of people employed. In that respect YABvvvU

DoctorAnge Mon 08-Jul-13 22:44:28

Oh for goodness sake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now