Tell me about reserving a pre-school place

(4 Posts)
cheeseandcrackers Wed 24-Apr-13 16:01:09

I am completely clueless about pre-schools. Ds is nearly 2 and I have suddenly realised I need to do something about choosing a pre-school soon. I am a SAHM at the moment but not sure how this will be for so I'm finding it quite hard to have to make decisions about pre-schools now. I think there are four non-nursery pre-schools locally that would suit well if I am not working. Ds would get 15hrs free from Sept 2014 but I think I'd like him to start before then ideally.

Should I just phone the pre-schools and ask to look around? What sort of things should I look for? I'll have to bring ds with me when I look around but I presume this will be ok. Would I be expected to pay a deposit? I would be reluctant to do that as if I end up going back to work I would probably put ds in a nursery until he starts school.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sirzy Wed 24-Apr-13 16:04:39

You need to contact the pre school and ask them what their procedure is.

Most pre schools attatched to schools only take children from when they are 3 and get the 15 hours free, a lot only have a september intake too. But a private nursery would probably be able to take him sooner.

mrsyattering Wed 24-Apr-13 16:07:40

Nursery's attached to schools in Scotland, ask you to register them after their 2nd birthday for starting in August. Can put three choices, probably different in England though

cheeseandcrackers Wed 24-Apr-13 16:29:51

Thanks for your replies. The schools here don't have attached pre-schools. Pre-schools in non-nursery settings seem to be held in church halls/ community centres etc and take children from either 2yrs or 2yrs 9months. I guess I should just phone them to find out when I need to put his name down (if it's not too late already..). I have read their Ofsted reports, I'm just not really sure what I should be looking for when I visit them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now