Am I missing something?

(15 Posts)
Stevie77 Thu 11-Apr-13 09:31:46

What is the benefit, if at all, of moving a child from private nursery to school nursery? I'm wondering if I'm missing something seeing as some of the parents at nursery are doing just that.

As I see it, it is getting a year early into the rigmarole of childcare solutions for half terms and school holidays. In our area it doesn't even guarantee a place in reception year.

LIZS Thu 11-Apr-13 10:30:08

It is often a cheaper option (as most do 3 hour sessions to fit EYFS funding) , can get children familiar with a more school based setting and are convenient for those with school aged children. However doesn't suit those who work as often not as flexible.

Stevie77 Thu 11-Apr-13 10:55:13

I can see how it suits stay at home parents. I can't see how it suits working parents, as you say, especially as we get the monetary value of the 15 hours a week now anyway. That's why I was wondering of I was missing something!

sparkle9 Sat 13-Apr-13 01:38:58

I work in a school with a nursery class and have lots of parents moving from private nurseries when their children turn 3. This is mainly because they want a setting overseen by a qualified teacher and to get their children used to being in a more school-like setting. We also offer additional hours on-site with optional care in the school holidays (only pay for what you use instead of the 50 or 52 weeks charged by private nurseries). The vast majority of parents work although there are some SAHMs.

twofalls Sat 13-Apr-13 01:46:11

1) it's cheaper
2) many school nurseries will have options that allow you to do extra hours and have holiday clubs, breakfast clubs
3) if you have other children you have the holidays etc to worry about anyway
4) if you have other children you only have to go to one setting
5) it gets them used to school and they will make friends with children they will (hopefully) be in reception with making the whole first day of school feel a lot less scary

That said if you work full time and only have one child I do agree that it is a choice which is harder to make work.

My experience is that my DC moved from expensive day nurseries to the local school nursery and I have been blown away by the quality of education and care they have received at the school nursery. I'm also hoping that for DS, who is August born, it will make the transition to school easier.

Kamilouss Mon 15-Apr-13 14:25:19

Stevie77 are you sure about this 15 hrs free? I called my local council (Richmond) as found the add on their website that there will be 15 hours free for children 2Y - but was told that this is only for parents being on benefits... as I am not on any benefits I will not be getting any free hours, even when my doughter will be 3Y

LIZS Mon 15-Apr-13 16:14:27

Kamilouss , Early Years Funding is a national scheme , not means tested or benefit related, but doesn't start until the term after the child has turned 3. Some areas do have funding for specific circumstances before this. Info for Richmond EY funding is here but your child must attend an eligible setting.

Kamilouss Mon 15-Apr-13 16:59:10

well, I find it all quite confusing. I din't aplly for any fundings, I just thought that this is something what applies to everybody, when child 3 years old... but on Richmond's website there is something that from September 2013 you will get 15 hours free when your child is 2... does it matter when your child is in private or public nursery?

LIZS Mon 15-Apr-13 17:23:39

That is only for specific circumstances ie those on certain benefits info here. If that doesn't apply to your family , then your dc will wait until he/she has turned 3. There is a link on the first page I linked to a directory of eligible settings, which could be private or state-run nursery, preschool playgroup, daycare or childminder. You don't apply for the funding yourself, the setting will give you a form to complete for them to claim it as and when you become eligible, and your bill is reduced by the hours claimed.

The 15 hours free when they are 2 is a means-tested thing and you're unlikely to qualify. The 15 hours free when they are 3 is completely separate and still applies to everyone. It should apply to private and public nurseries but not every nursery will have 15 hour sessions available and I don't think it's compulsory for nurseries to participate. Is your daughter at a private nursery already? Ask the office there about it. They would generally give you a form to sign once she turns three.

Kamilouss Mon 15-Apr-13 21:38:04

thank you for these explanations, they are very useful. I've just moved to the area and I will be seeing some nurseries tomorrow so I will ask there smile thanks again xx

Stevie77 Tue 16-Apr-13 10:13:31

Oops, totally forgot about this!

Thanks for the answers. It does sound like what I was thinking. It came about from a comment a mum of my DD made. Both parents work and at the school in question no extra hours/wrap-around care offered, so I guess it is about getting her DD used to the school setting.

kimmills222 Sat 20-Apr-13 17:30:51

This will give you a cheaper option but personally I think a private nursery is way better than the other although its solely my opinion.

Beatrixpotty Mon 22-Apr-13 22:55:28

My son goes to both private nursery 1 day per week and school nursery 15hours as that worked best for my childcare needs.Much prefers the school one and seems to get much more stimulation..I have been really impressed by it too..proper teacher & class room assistants,,involvement with rest of school,weekly "homework," regular trips to museum/cathedral/farm,eat lunch together in school canteen,mix with older children.Has prepared him very well for school in September.Term time only is a bit annoying if you work but can be solved with holiday clubs,some take them from 3.Private nursery is fun but seems to lack the structure of the school one.The cost isn't much of an issue as he would get the 15hours free in the private nursery too,although extra days at the school nursery can be bought for 1/2 the cost of the private one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now