Pre-school at 3 - how many sessions?

(11 Posts)
Coffee1Sugar Sun 07-Apr-13 17:52:30

My dd will be 3 next month and will be going to preschool in september every day from 8.30-11.30 as that's just the way they offer it there (it is part of a primary school)

both mine went for 5 x 2.5hr sessions when they got their free sessions age 3 (in Scotland so we only get 12.5 hours free per week)

OddBoots Tue 26-Mar-13 18:35:23

I would suggest a minimum of 2 and not both days together if you only do 2 as it leaves a really long gap between sessions which is the most disruptive thing. If you are doing 2 then a Monday and Thursday or a Tuesday and Friday would work well.

wrigglers2 Tue 26-Mar-13 18:32:17

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I'll work on it :-)

DD will have nearly 2 yrs at her preschool (Dec birthday) so I started her on 2 mornings a week, then up to 3 after first term.

She now does 4 morning and would happily do a fifth I'm sure. However I'm happy to have one day a week where I'm not constantly to-ing and fro-ing to school (have DS in y2)

MajaBiene Tue 26-Mar-13 16:40:08

At my ds's nursery you have to do 15 hours over at least 3 days from 3 years old. He is 2 and has to do at least 2 sessions but he loves it and does 3.

Beatrixpotty Tue 26-Mar-13 16:37:30

DS1 was only just 3 when started pre-school (August birthday).He started doing 2.5 days as 1 morning and 2 days 9-3.Also was doing 9-5.30 day at nursery when i was working.He coped fine and now at 3.5 he has just started doing the full day at nursery at 3x9-3 days at pre-school and loves it.

TheChaoGoesMu Tue 26-Mar-13 14:08:42

I sent my 3 yr old in for 4 sessions over 2 days, and he loved it so much I swiftly moved him up to 3 whole days.

wrigglers2 Tue 26-Mar-13 14:07:25

Oh yes, sorry I know I can't put them in for one and wouldn't want to, I was just saying they may be a bit dismayed if I put them in for 5 - wasn't clear. Thanks for your advice.

LIZS Tue 26-Mar-13 14:04:33

They may not settle as well if you only do one session and many settings won't offer it, stating a minimum attendance . I'd suggest at least 2 or 3 to start with.

wrigglers2 Tue 26-Mar-13 14:01:34

Hi there,

I have twin boys who will be 3 at the end of June. They are due to go to Pre-school in September but I am struggling to settle on how many sessions to send them to. They are intelligent, gregarious and get involved easily but as I would have been at home with them for over 3 years then by then, I'm not sure how they will take it if I put them in for more than one session a week. I have received mixed advice. Your experiences are welcome to help me make up my mind! Thanks very much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now