Teaching preschooler to use scissors

(10 Posts)
loolooskiptotheloo Sat 06-Oct-12 21:43:21

plastic scissors are ideal for play dough though seventh. smile

BertieBotts Sat 06-Oct-12 21:12:12

I don't think I taught DS, he just appeared in the living room one day with an apple which had been in a sealed packet, and announced proudly "I cut the bag with scissors mummy!"

shock - they would have been the normal scissors just out of the cutlery drawer! I've always been cautious but non hysterical around them and he is aware that they can hurt him and he mustn't try to cut himself or touch the insides of the blades.

I gave DS proper scissors when he was 2, and supervised closely. He loves cutting up paper / catalogues, and has been accurately cutting for a while now (he's 4 next month). I think proper scissors + supervision is better than the frustration that is plastic scissors.

RubberNeckerNicker Sat 06-Oct-12 21:08:45

Actually, we have this brand, but ours are boring green, not cute little panda pawed!

RubberNeckerNicker Sat 06-Oct-12 21:05:06

We got some great kids scissors with a spring part that pushed the blades apart - which really helped getting the cutting action. You could disengage the spring once no longer needed. They do have metal blades though, so need supervision.

A bit like these but not that exact brand. Or these look a bit safer, but shock at the price!

Limelight Sat 06-Oct-12 20:59:52

My DM taught DS when he was not quite 3. Admittedly she has an old school no nonsense retired teacher thing going on.

On one of her trips down south to see us, she presented him with some proper kids scissors (for older kids) - obviously with no consultation with us. The conversation went as follows:

DM: Little boy scissors don't cut properly so I've bought you some big boy scissors. If you're not careful you'll cut yourself and it will hurt and bleed a lot. So concentrate and don't do any cutting if Mammy or Daddy aren't there. Ok?

DS: Ok Grandma.

He was so bloody terrified he was indescribably careful for months! I seem to remember him using two hands for a while.

It was certainly effective.grin

loolooskiptotheloo Sat 06-Oct-12 20:14:14

All of the finger rhymes, playing with play dough, rolling balls, drawing etc will build up the muscles needed for using scissors, it's a really tricky manoeuvre to use scissors one handed and the first stages are using two hands, there are lots of scissor styles you can buy to help with those early stages such as parent scissors ( with holes for an adult hand too), snip scissors, loop scissors and spring loaded scissors (which ones are needed is dependent on what stage your child is at) once the child is snipping then play dough is a great resource to support in developing and practising this skill but I really feel pre school should be talking you through where they feel your child is at and how you can support this development at home. Hope this is helpful smile

Winterwardrobetime Tue 02-Oct-12 14:32:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WowOoo Tue 02-Oct-12 14:21:40

I let mine practise with a safety scissors. He finds it really hard as his fingers are too small and not strong enough yet.

He's 3.5 too and I think it's normal not to be able to use a scissors at this age. I wouldn't say he is behind at all.
Anything else that strenghthens his hands is good..playdoh.

Winterwardrobetime Tue 02-Oct-12 14:17:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now